Like Tree9Likes

Done with Paypal

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Pidaras:
    aww.. i used to use paypal, but finally its eliminated coz i found their ex-ch rate is much higher than i deal wid the shop directly. sucks.

i wouldnt save my details in da account tho.
    depends what you're buying, sometimes, there things much cheaper on ebay or rare obscure items not available in HK

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Update: Apparently Paypal credited my cancelled card with the money (less exchange rate and 1.5% cut for Visa!). Standard Chartered, whilst able to automatically transfer any debit items from the old card to the new one, is unable to automatically transfer any credit items to the new one.

That, and a visit to a branch at the weekend, has me wavering on my favourite bank.

Original Post Deleted
    Exactly, we bank with HSBC overseas and have no issues. They are helpful, friendly, and can employ commonsense and logic. None of which is evident at HSBC here, especially the latter two.

I had to go into a regional HSBC in France twice, and both times came out with my issue solved in a minimum of time and fuss even with my French at not much above basic level.
    bibbju likes this.

What it cost me: $131.80

Final update.

SC automatically transfer any debits to a new card, but do not do so with credits. You have to request the credit be transferred. I've never had card fraud on my cards or had to cancel one, so I was unaware of this, and neither did anyone at their customer service inform me.

Because the credit was not transferred immediately, I asked twice that SC not charge me any late fees/interest charges. I was told twice I would not be charged. Well you've guessed it - they did. A $180 late charge and $54 'finance charge', for which SC started to harangue me with phone calls and letters to pay!

After a few more phone calls, I managed to get those two charges reversed, plus a partial reversal of the exchange rate difference. This took the 'computer' five days to do!

After all that, this cost me just $37 in money but just over 2.5 months of a fuck load of time and hassle, during which I received an email from Paypal with a competition about: "Tell us how PayPal Buyer Protection is powering your passion by submitting a photo of yourself doing what you love". My passion is not shouting at a string of customer service representatives.

shri likes this.

Would they use you in their ad campaign if the photo showed a slightly raised middle finger?

Original Post Deleted
    Their service levels have dropped off recently...

I had a rather unpleasant experience with eBay/Paypal recently. We were moving to Hong Kong and we had to sell most of our stuff back home in Sydney. So we listed lots of items on ebay and one of it is an old Apple Macbook. Buyer paid quickly and we shipped within hours after payments (with the laptop all formatted and ready to go).

We left for Hong Kong a week after the laptop was shipped. The buyer then claim against me that the laptop was faulty with some BS excuses. We had intermittent internet access on the first week in HK and couldn't respond to the buyer/ebay quickly enough. Within days, eBay had decided to take the buyer's favor and refunded the buyer for the full amount. I ended up being the loser of this saga. Very upset :-/