Like Tree5Likes

Western Doctor?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

hey sara....
    no disrespect taken....
    it may sound like i am exaggerating...but im not really.
    during the day its not so bad....the pain is there when coughing...but not so often.
    at night time i litterally begin to cough more and more until its literally non-stop. the pain in my stomach muscles and mouth each time i cough gets worse and worse...and then at some point i fall asleep like that.

i know im not gonna die.......yet
    but i also know that its not a "common cold".

this is why i am looking for a new doctor to try out...and want to find a good one so i dont need to go to a hospital every time i am sick

also...

im hardly ever in central...work in TST, and live in PI
    any in Tsing YI? im there every day

if no other suggestions, i will try your first mentions in Central.

Quote Originally Posted by mattstewart:
    also...

im hardly ever in central...work in TST, and live in PI
    any in Tsing YI? im there every day

if no other suggestions, i will try your first mentions in Central.
    Have you been to the doc on Park Island? It's near the bus terminal. Hubby went there and he manage to get rid of hubby's cough.

Go to a hospital or a more 'non suburban' GP this weekend.

Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago and I ended up locked in my hotel suite for over 4 weeks.

I thought I had contracted pneumonia and demanded strong antibiotics. He gave me a weeks course plus 7 additional medications including steriods (!) which I totally ignored as I was so ill and weak, these other meds could have triggered off additional problems.

On my second visit I asked for more antibiotics as they were working although slowly. He thought I had TB. We did a trade off, give me the tabs and I'll follow up with Xrays. The tabs worked and now I am back home and have gone to see my own personal GP. No TB in me!

Sounds severe enough you really should be going to emergency. We had something called SARS in Hong Kong in 2003 that killed people.

Now of course you don't have SARS. But, stop taking a serious cough so lightly. Back your bags and find an emergency room.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    We had something called SARS in Hong Kong in 2003 that killed people.
    Hmmm. Well in fact a senior member of the HK medical profession (Professor Yuen of HKU) is on record as saying (SCMP, 9 May 2003) that it was the "treatment" that killed most of the people who died. And also left dozens with lifelong crippling conditions. There is no doubt that the HK medical establishment panicked (*) and dosed people up with steroids and anti-virals to an excessive degree. In fact the number of people who died of pneumonia of all sorts (including SARS) was not significantly different during 2003 than it was in any other year. In countries where the treatment for SARS was "fresh air and exercise" (the best treatment for most viral infections) - i.e Canada, USA - no otherwise healthy people died.

But media hysteria is a very powerful thing, and, unfortunately, Hong Kong has some very good exponents of the art of drumming it up, including one Prof Peiris and, unfortunately, Mrs Chan who has just been appointed to the WHO.

(*) And this is not in any way meant to denigrate the nurses, auxiliaries and other medical staff in HK who responded with exemplary bravery and devotion to duty in the face of an unknown and wildly hyped situation. This is in contrast to some other places in the region where significant numbers of similar staff deserted their posts.
    Last edited by PDLM; 08-01-2007 at 01:53 AM.

Wondering if people here have any recent/up to date suggestions for a good doctor?
    Not necessarily looking for a "foreign" one, but at least one that shows some level of 'care' for their patients.

I've had the same experiences... walk in, doctor asks you a bunch of generic questions, okay you have a "cold" please wait outside, nurse prescribes 50 different little packets of pills, sends me on my way.

So sick (no pun intended) of this type of health care. Can anyone recommend somewhere that has more of a 'Western' experience? I'm keen to develop a longer relationship with a doc in HK so they at least know what my health history is. At the moment I'm seeing a different doctor every time I get sick because of the poor service I'm receiving from each one. I'm finding I don't get better after the first visit as well, I tend to have to go back several times for ongoing issues.

jabalong likes this.

Try Dr Tony Lee - his details are here ( https://www.finddoc.com/en/doctor/in...-kit-tony-3709 ).

Costs about $400 or so a vist. He's a well regarded family physician (multi-disciplinary...).

Might also be worth trying the family health clinics that are run by the Sanitorium. 養和醫院 :: Hong Kong Sanatorium & Hospital (Family Medicine Centre)

Thanks Shri, made an appt to see him this afternoon!

HowardCoombs likes this.

Best of luck .. as mentioned to you in a PM a few mins ago. Don't feel rushed.

Hope he works out ...