Like Tree4Likes

English speaking psychiatrist needed (not psychologist)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Psychiatrist

I'm an American who accepted an offer to work in Guangzhou. I just need a psychiatrist to write prescriptions for the meds I already take. I've heard that mainland China doesn't provide modern psychotropics (i.e., anti-depressants and mood stabilizers).

Also, I don't have a clue about Hong Kong geography. Can someone please inform me of a psychiatrist whose office is near Guangzhou? Or, what part of H.K. (district?) is nearest to Guangzhou?

Or, if I bring a prescription from an American psychiatrist, can I have it filled in Hong Kong? Or, if I call a H.K. pharmacy will they tell me if they stock what I need?

Pardon if these are naive questions.

Last edited by ESL-Pro-USA; 20-09-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Add more questions

Many local pharmacies here do not require a prescription. If you know what you need you just ask for it at the counter.
    I find this pharmacy has a large selection in stock and good english. Try giving them a call.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fanda...27215660696503

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    Many local pharmacies here do not require a prescription. If you know what you need you just ask for it at the counter.
    I find this pharmacy has a large selection in stock and good english. Try giving them a call.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fanda...27215660696503
    Yes Fanda is the go to pharmacy for expats but I've found that local pharmacies usually will sell you the same medications without prescription and with less of a markup. Not to mention Central is nowhere near the border. OP could try any local pharmacy nearer to the border, I'd recommend bringing your prescription bottle so it has all the Rx details.

For psychotropics you might still need a prescription as not everything will be given without one. You can probably just see a GP but I don't recommend buying the medication from them as it's at a huge markup and they give you only a few pills. All MDs can speak English.