Like Tree13Likes

anyone had colonoscopy?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

anyone had colonoscopy?

in HK? recently had a diet change and noticed some changes in my poop for a few months. the doctor recommended me to have colonoscopy. asked a couple of friends who are in their early 30's as well, they also had it before. still not sure if need it though since my diet is changing back. a bit unsure about the procedure. is it painful or dangerous? thanks. thought only old people have it...

Not dangerous and certainly not painful.
    You have to have a special diet for 1-2 days (no fiber) and the procedure is fairly quick.
    The most unpleasent part is the diet; you have to drink this horrible liquid that clenses your colon

Grumbler likes this.

Yes, a "friend" had it done. The diet was the worst bit and you should not go very far from the loo in the day prior.
    They gave a mild anaesthetic which makes you very drowsy for 20 mins but you faintly remember what happens as you are semi awake. Feel as right as rain after.

Watercooler and Grumbler like this.

I'm around your age OP, and I had one about 2 years ago after some worrying symptoms also developed. Thankfully, it was nothing and I had a clean bill of health. Given your age, if you eat healthy and have no immediate family history of colon cancer, chances are it might be something more benign and far less serious. But if you want to put your mind at ease, go ahead and take one. I was pretty worried myself (you can check my old thread on this), but the doctor sedated me and I was fine throughout the whole process.

As others have said, the preparation was worse than the actual procedure. Yes, they do make you drink a nasty fluid beforehand that emptiness your stomach (5 or 6 trips to the loo).

Last edited by Watercooler; 06-11-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Grumbler likes this.

they tried to get me to have one - i told em to stick it up their arse

jokes aside

maybe u should jus go anyway - nothin like peace of mind

- and the bonus is you wont be so scared if u do get abducted by aliens....

Grumbler likes this.

Do you use Dove soap?

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Do you use Dove soap?
    ???
    INXS likes this.

hm... maybe should go just for the piece of mind. maybe will also stay up and make sure the doctor isn't playing with my butt or something.

I had it first done when I was 35. Painless. It's an in patient procedure - one night stay. You can get a few other things done while you are under.

I had it done after a bout of gastro, and seeing as my mum had just been diagnosed with bowel cancer, the Dr said I should have a colonoscopy just to check. The prep beforehand was just awful. I couldn't wipe my bum for days afterwards, it was so sore. The procedure, I had done at Matilda hospital, was quick, I asked to be knocked out completely and didn't remember a thing. Was given the all clear and the bill for 26 K plus ...just to look up my bum.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast