Like Tree7Likes

How expensive is it to see a doctor in Hong Kong without an ID?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The doc I go to is usually $250-$350 a visit, but he's good about not giving the cheaper generic medicines that always require a follow up visit if they're "not strong enough". (He wont give anti-biotics unless they're definitely needed) Went to him on a friends recommendation after another quack misdiagnosed me and a throat infection got so bad I couldn't even swallow water.

They only needed identification for their records; I don't think they really worried where it was from.

private doctors won't care if you have a HKID or even if you are a hk resident. only gov't hospitals will need the info, if you want to get the Eligible Persons rate.

Claire ex-ax and heather11 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryks:
    Hey guys. I've just woken up in the middle of the night and am feeling beyond rough. Seems I have tonsillitis. I have work tomorrow so would like to go to a local doctor before work to get medication for tonsillitis.

I have an appointment next week to get my ID card, but that's to far away. Is it very expensive to see a doctor for a check up without an ID card?
    Quote Originally Posted by croash:
    If it's just antibiotics you're after, most pharmacies will sell them to you over the counter without a prescription.

Sent from my HTC One X using GeoClicks Mobile

And we wonder why there are problems with misuse of antibiotics!
    z754103 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    And we wonder why there are problems with misuse of antibiotics!
    At least at the pharmacy you can get a full course of ABs. Those '3-day doctors' are a lot of the problem.
    carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    At least at the pharmacy you can get a full course of ABs. Those '3-day doctors' are a lot of the problem.
    Hmmm, you can lead a horse to water........

In general there is no medical reason why doctors can only prescribe 3-days of medication, but the 3-days rules can apply in the context of some medical insurance policy (where the insurance carrier will only pay to the doctor on your behalf for 3 days' worth of medication).

doesn't explain why those of us without insurance are still given 3 days' meds....

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    doesn't explain why those of us without insurance are still given 3 days' meds....
    Do you have an agreed treatment plan? Were you planning to go back for a follow up visit after 3 days? Did you discuss with your doctor about duration of antibiotics?

I have lived her for a very long time. I have experience of many different doctors. I no longer go to drs who do this, but i would say that probsby 80-90% of th drs i have used in the past have done it.

Sent from my N8100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    I have lived her for a very long time. I have experience of many different doctors. I no longer go to drs who do this, but i would say that probsby 80-90% of th drs i have used in the past have done it.

Sent from my N8100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    I am glad you found the right doctors. For those who are seeing "3-days doctors", it is within your rights to discuss the treatment plan and to expect a full course of antibiotics.