Like Tree8Likes

Acid reflux remedy?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Acid reflux remedy?

I have been getting this over the last few months and always in my sleep.
    Is there any over the counter remedies from Watsons for this and what would it be called?

Medicine :: Gaviscon, available allover the place.

Lifestyle change:: Eat early, drink plenty of water and try to stay away from Acidic&spicy foods as well as alcohol&fizzy drinks (yes, that includs beer).

Second one is better for your health and your wallet

It nearly always happens when I havent had any booze and I rarely drink fizzy drinks. Just feel uncomfortable (and scared) waking up and almost choking on vomit.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Don't eat within 3 hours of going to bed.

If it continues you should also consult with your doctor and investigate whether you have a bacterial infection - Helicobacter pylori can cause chronic heartburn and can lead to more serious issues such as ulcers if left untreated.

Koen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Lifestyle change:: Eat early, drink plenty of water and try to stay away from Acidic&spicy foods as well as alcohol&fizzy drinks (yes, that includs beer).
    I suffer from it quite badly as well especially if I've had a midnight snack, fried noodles with lots of spicy pork and extra chillis washed down with a nice fizzy coke or if I've been out drinking the night before, the next morning I have a very bad metallic taste in my mouth, upset stomach so I just put my hand down the throat and puke up the acid, brown liquid stuff. do that until nothing left and then carry on suffering the hangover

medicine is for pussies Haahaaa, stay away from spicy food and beer, your avin a laff

It's a horrible feeling, I can truly empathise. I use Nexium, which Fanda will sell you over the counter but it's pricey.

Avoid wine, citrus, tomatoes and soft drinks. Those give me terrible heartburn. Its better to keep an eye on the likely triggers than to use antacids long term as they upset your natural acid balance. I used to have terrible problems including stomach ulcers and by watching for the signs, I have avoided it for more than a year now.

But when it happens, I take some Tums or something available at the chemist. Sleep propped up on pillows too.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    If it continues you should also consult with your doctor and investigate whether you have a bacterial infection - Helicobacter pylori can cause chronic heartburn and can lead to more serious issues such as ulcers if left untreated.
    Very sound advise. H. pylori can lead to cancer too. H.pylori is very persistent so the drug regime used is rather harsh and tends to play havoc with intestinal 'flora'. This unfortuntely can lead to a degree of irritable bowl syndrome which might need addressing post treatment.

I get chronic heart burn if I drink plastic bottled water straight from the bottle.
    This is unavoidable sometimes so I always carry "Rennies Antacid" which works well or at least until I take another sip....
    You can't get Rennies here only Singapore, drives me crazy, other brands are horrible. Rennies are to heartburn what Aspirin is to headaches.

What has worked for me after late meal and bed on full stomach is plain yogurt, and if that is not available a glass of ENOS.

Koen likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast