Like Tree37Likes

Psychiatrist for anxiety and depression in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Psychiatrist for anxiety and depression in Hong Kong?

Hi, I need a recommendation for a good Psychiatrist in Hong Kong (Central) that deals with medication for depression and anxiety. Rather than just pick a random Psychiatrist I would rather go with word of mouth. Can anyone recommend someone from personal experience. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks x

HK-psych

Looks as if we're both seeking similar info. Anyone respond to your question? No idea if they're any good, yet I saw the following two people. Good luck.

Dr Jadis Blurton http://www.talhk.com/pers/staff/drb.htm

Dr Mark Greene https://sites.google.com/site/dreamd...ome/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by mia_nel:
    Hi, I need a recommendation for a good Psychiatrist in Hong Kong (Central) that deals with medication for depression and anxiety. Rather than just pick a random Psychiatrist I would rather go with word of mouth. Can anyone recommend someone from personal experience. It would be much appreciated. Thanks x

hi

Just to point out that the practitioners above are not medical doctors, so are not psychiatrists, however as psychologists they may be well placed to help and/or refer to other colleagues.

best wishes

Fiona in HKG, shri and elle like this.

As Louiseamanda wrote, above two are psychologists "only" i.e they cannot prescribe any medication. Suggest you check hkdoctors.org website. You can choose according to district, specialty and whether you want private, public hospital etc. Private psychiatrist in Central/Western district gives plenty of doctors to choose from; unfortunately I cannot recommend any from personal experience. But often when it's to do with mental health issues, the chemistry between the doctor and the patient also matters, and is up to individual experience.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

I can't recommend Dr Sarah Borwein highly enough! She's actually a GP but she is very experienced with mental health issues, especially depression and anxiety. She works at Central Health Practice (on Duddell St). Central Health also has a great psychologist Dr Susan Mistler who works closely with Dr Borwein if needed. They are both lovely people and very good at their jobs. They treated me when I was going through a very bad patch in my old job in HK and I don't know what I would have done without them. Before I found them (actually through an old recommendation for Dr Borwein on Geoexpat), I tried a series of local doctors and a local psychiatrist. They were pretty much useless. In fact, if I was in the UK I would have reported the psychiatrist as she was only interested in seeing as many patients as she could so she could make more money. No wonder people jump off buildings in HK if that's an example of the local mental health care on offer!!!

Last edited by bibbju; 15-04-2014 at 04:50 PM.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I can't recommend Dr Sarah Borwein highly enough! She's actually a GP but she is very experienced with mental health issues, especially depression and anxiety. She works at Central Health Practice (on Duddell St). Central Health also has a great psychologist Dr Susan Mistler who works closely with Dr Borwein if needed. They are both lovely people and very good at their jobs. They treated me when I was going through a very bad patch in my old job in HK and I don't know what I would have done without them. Before I found them (actually through an old recommendation for Dr Borwein on Geoexpat), I tried a series of local doctors and a local psychiatrist. They were pretty much useless. In fact, if I was in the UK I would have reported the psychiatrist as she was only interested in seeing as many patients as she could so she could make more money. No wonder people jump off buildings in HK if that's an example of the local mental health care on offer!!!
    I second that on the local psychiatrists. My then-partner saw one of 'HK's best' and ended up taking an overdose that put him in hospital. The doctor (a) refused to get involved when I called him about the overdose, never visited or called while he was in hospital and (b) gave him more medication of the same sort when he went back for his next consult. I handed the meds back to him and took my friend to a psychologist with much better results.

Have you tried excercise? Distance running? Seriously, I think before anyone seeks professional help for anxiety or depression they should try some sort of physical excercise first. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but for many it will. Too many people relying on pills and PhD's, when the real culprit is diet, nutrition and excercise. A healthy lifestyle is the first step towards reducing stress and anxiety.

beamur21 likes this.

yeah, exercising, including yoga asana, change of eating habits ( yoga diet ), Dale Carnegie books can achieve quiet something

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Have you tried excercise? Distance running? Seriously, I think before anyone seeks professional help for anxiety or depression they should try some sort of physical excercise first. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but for many it will. Too many people relying on pills and PhD's, when the real culprit is diet, nutrition and excercise. A healthy lifestyle is the first step towards reducing stress and anxiety.
    Oh for heaven's sake! There's nothing worse for people suffering from depression than amateur armchair doctors telling them what will make them feel better. If all it takes is some exercise to "cure" your depression then you weren't suffering from clinical depression in the first place. Yes, some exercise and healthy eating won't hurt and will often help. The problem is that people suffering from depression are struggling so much that they don't feel up to taking care of themselves and they usually want to hide away from the world (family and friends included). So telling someone struggling with depression to eat well and do some exercise is about as patronising as it gets - and it shows that the person saying this hasn't a clue what the person with depression is going through and it actually makes them feel worse!!!

The problem these days is that the word depression is bandied around far too easily. If people feel a bit low or blue, they say they're depressed, When actually that's not depression at all and effectively makes light of depression for genuine sufferers. Along the same lines as people who say they have flu when it's really just a cold or a migraine when it's just a bad headache.

CC - I'm not having a go as I know you have the best intentions but this is exactly the WRONG approach to take with someone who has "genuine" depression. What you need to do is offer support, don't judge and definitely don't put pressure on them to do things before they're ready. Depression is a very complex issue, to the extent that doctors and psychiatrists still can't agree on the fundamental cause. There's no magic cure and quite often it's more a cause of people learning to understand their depression triggers and manage their illness rather than the depression magicly going away. However, I do agree that anti-depressants tend to be handed out like sweeties - because it's easier and cheaper for doctors to do that rather than prescribe talking therapies (often in parallel with anti-depressants) which are proven to be much more effective.

Whilst I am not a fan of the medicated approach, especially as I am a psychology graduate, I do think that the 'exercise and diet' advice is a tad naive.

The problem is that when you are depressed it is almost mission impossible to find within yourself the necessary drive to make these changes.

Often what is needed is a short course of anti-depressents, to allow a period of clear thinking to bring about behavioral changes. A psychiatric professional without a long term medicating approach, working with a psychologist is in my view the ideal solution. Bibbju's recommendation seems to fit the bill.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

bibbju, usehername and z754103 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast