Like Tree19Likes

Seeking a doctor with Medical Import License?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vilani:
    Court with maximum penalty of 500k HKD and/or 2 years jail.
    Holy CRAP did you ship over a container full of medicine

Not at all! Family sent me a months supply of drugs so it's the equivalent of a small postbox of stuff along with chocolates and other gifts for the family.

I spoke to the department of health yesterday they said as the drug is available in HK they won't approve this shipment. They also said customs should send the package back and not pass the buck to them and waste everyones time.

Seems some inter-government departmental friction

Last edited by Vilani; 19-03-2014 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Spell-goodly

Is it not possible for you to come to an arrangement with customs where you take a day-trip to Macau and on arrival back a customs officer meets you at the ferry, gives you the package, and you then bring it in yourself?

No idea. Would they do that? Would it be considered wrong to even suggest it? It's a good idea though.

I've no idea, but I don't see any harm in politely asking if something like that might be possible in the interests of making everyone's life easier.

I thought it could be taken for granted that any sufficiently developed country would have imposed restrictions on posting pharmaceuticals (and a whole bunch of other things). The questions then are simply how often are they enforced and what the penalties are.

I usually buy meds when I go overseas, mostly because they are cheaper in bulk quantities that are not available in Hong Kong, or because I can get away with not seeing doctors here who seem to have a habit of under-prescribing quantities while over-prescribing variety of drugs. Anywhere else I've lived, you can get repeat prescriptions without the hassle of seeing a doctor, so something like asthma meds (which require long term, repeated use) are easy. In Hong Kong, I don't think that repeats exist as doctors want you to keep going back so as to pay redundant consultation fees.

@ the OP. I wish you the best of luck but I would be serious surprised if any doctor could be bothered to help you with importing medicines. It's a hassle because it's out of the ordinary, and it's simply not in their financial interest to make medicine easily available to the public. Doctors's offices here also sell medicines, in small quantities, which brings in repeat business.

Also, I think that Grunt is pulling your leg and you haven't realised this. Do you seriously think that Macau customs is going to be interesting in doing what will look like a drug run at their ferry pier?

Simplest options is just to stock up on meds when you visit home or when people come out to visit you.

Last edited by jgl; 19-03-2014 at 09:36 AM.
    iliketurtles likes this.

If Grunt's suggestion is meant to be a joke, I fail to see the humour.

I don't see any situation where customs would agree to Grunt's suggestion. Most likely, it would just piss them off (after all, they HAVE given you a get out of jail free card already) and I don't even know how the logistics would work. I'm not sure where your package will be held by customs (maybe the airport, or nearby, maybe not) and I'd be amazed if a customs officer, of his own volition, decided to take custody of the package to meet you at a particular ferry from which you are dismbarking.

I would suggest you ring around every doctor in town and throw money at this until a doctor agrees.

For what it's worth, before I came to HK, I think I sent my wife a care package of non-prescription medication without even thinking about it. You've given me food for thought.

Cant you just tell customs that you dont want the medicine and they can just confiscate it, save you all the hassle.

I agree with Jgl that no doctor is going to help you, they will not entertain you as they have no benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Do you seriously think that Macau customs is going to be interesting in doing what will look like a drug run at their ferry pier?
    It's got nothing to do with Macau customs. It's just a question I would ask were I in the OP's situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilani:
    Thanks guys.

Court with maximum penalty of 500k HKD and/or 2 years jail. I hope, in worst case, that doesn't happen. And I find it hard to believe HK court would send me to jail for this infraction - it's not like I am importing marijana or anything illicit.
    !!!!!???

My mum posted me pills every month for a couple of years as it was cheaper back home.

Get a lawyer, plead ignorance and you'll probably get a small fine at worst.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast