Coughing for a week

Closed Thread

Exclamation Coughing for a week

I've been coughing for week now and I still haven't recovered from my cough. I can still breathe/breath perfectly when I'm coughing, but I also have some mucus now and then (sometimes). Ever since I started drinking warm/hot water before going to bed, I don't often have coughs with mucus anymore, but I sometimes have coughs with mucus.

The last time I have cough, I drink medicines given to me from my doctor. But I haven't been drinking medicine when I started coughing this week, so do you recommend drinking medicine to help get rid of my cough because I've been thinking of doing that soon. And about that medicine some people have mentioned in the forums that's similar to this topic, called "African Sea Coconut Cough Syrup", is it tasty and really effective to getting rid of my cough as soon as possible? Where could I buy it and how much does it cost?

Please reply ASAP!

Squeeze some lemon juice into a mug, shred some ginger into it and add hot water and honey. Better than drugs.

African sea coconut available at most pharmacies and supermarkets. Tastes ok.

What colour is your phlegm? If it's coloured then it's a viral infection. See a doc

There isn't any colour in my phlegm, it's just a normal phlegm.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    African sea coconut available at most pharmacies and supermarkets. Tastes ok.

What colour is your phlegm? If it's coloured then it's a viral infection. See a doc
    No, it's a bacterial infection, which can be helped by antibiotics if required. Although many bacterial infections will improve over time without recourse to pill popping. A route that is kinder to humanity as we await the killer antibiotic-resistant bacteria that will wipe us all out.

For a viral infection not much point seeing the doctor unless you are on death's door. Ask the UK government perhaps if you really want something for a virus, they have stockpiles of Tamiflu they might let go cheap.

Are bacterial infections common to people who have coughs or is it a serious infection? And by the way, I'm not on death's door, it's just a common cough (and sometimes with a little mucus).

Quote Originally Posted by starlightcrysta:
    Are bacterial infections common to people who have coughs or is it a serious infection? And by the way, I'm not on death's door, it's just a common cough (and sometimes with a little mucus).
    Bacterial infections of the upper respiratory system are common after cold or the flu viruses. The nice moist environment created by the body's mucus response to the virus can allow bacteria to take hold in the tiny tubes of the upper lungs and in the nasal passages. This is called a secondary bacterial infection.

It is a normal and natural occurrence after a cold. Unless you are immune suppressed or suffer from other conditions your body will combat this infection over time. If you develop a high temperature or feel very unwell then you should see your doctor to rule out more serious illness.

If you are just coughing and otherwise feel ok, then this is just your airways being irritated by the remaining mucus. Get something to sooth the coughing. I use Fisherman's Friend lozenges, or just drink a bit of water.

As a mother of 5, I have had an intimate relationship with snot of several colours for many years. I think the worst was when a 2 year old explosively coughed as she was giving me a kiss - it was truly revolting. Actually, now I remember that, she owes me big time.

Well...I did have a cough after I had a cold. :/
    And the coughing I'm currently having is exactly what you described in your third paragraph. I'm glad to know that I'm not suffering from some kind of illness. ^.^

I've drank plenty of water each day and it did help get rid of some mucus each time, but I really like to get rid of the cough and the mucus.

This sharpened to me last year, but it lasted three months. Finally after nothing worked, I was taken to a Chinese herbalist. I don't really believe in Chinese medicine, but I took this mixture called Xuan Zhu Feng (Mandarin), billed it and drank it for a week and it cleared it up. Have you been to the Mainland lately? If I ever spend more than a couple of weeks there, I inevitably get sick.

Maybe you should see another doctor to get a second opinion. I had an inhaler prescribed to me after I coughed for weeks and medication wasn't doing anything for me. I was so annoyed that I decided to go see another doctor and that worked for me.