bedbugs

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I will now then , if someone just confirm the " diagnosis ".

When I first came here I lived in a highrise, did not have mesh on the windows ( who needs it 25 floors up, right ! ) , opened the windows to air the apartment, saw nothing unusual but had, starting in about April , the lovely suprise of waking up and having been bitten to death.
    I thought it was bed bugs. It was natural to do so. ( In bed , must come from bed , only symptoms are from the bed / night etc ). I think of this first as I have little or no understanding of living daily in a tropical evironment.

Hoover the bed, wash the walls in bleach dilute mix ( mould attracts bugs, warm / humid brings mould ) and clean every surface, obvious and hidden.
    OK for a couple of days. Then -- same again.

My name for it was Gwailao Fly . It eats me but left my wife alone ( she is Chinese ). It happened in periods of a few days followed by a period of " rest "

I also thought I had an infestation in my office carpet as I kept getting bitten above the sock line, maybe when my legs where exposed when sitting down at the desk. Bugs jump right ? We all know that.

In the hot weather, we do not use a sheet cover and prefer commando. If you cover up , then your feet, arms and neck are still exposed. The most anyone wears here is very light and loose with lots of opportunities to expose skin.

The culprit was NOT bed bugs but MOSQUITO.

Now you will all say - Impossible , Rubbish Only in the countyside, in the Jungle etc etc. WRONG !!!

You never see them. BUT BUT BUT - They only work at night and my guess is you only open the bedroom windows and may have the bedroom doors shut. You may only see any sort of fly in the bathroom where there is water to which they are attracted, not to drink but to breed.

They live in the corners of the ceiling and in the light fittings, behind and underneath surfaces. You rarely see them and then maybe discount the odd flyby because " its only a fly ".

You live high up in the sky. BUT BUT BUT - They get up via air currents and live in your building. You live in the city. BUT BUT BUT - They do too. They only publicise them in the countryside because they are indemic and the risk with Dengui Fever is therefore greater.

TRUST ME, its highly likely.
    2 ways to prove it.
    1) Buy a Mosquito net. They work and it instantly turns your bed into a Fantasy 4 poster !! You can be that Colonial Prince / Pricess you always dreamed of being.

2) Buy a can of OFF ( Orange can from many many outlets ) . 6 fl oz and made by Johnson. LIGHTLY spray it on your arms , legs and body ( if you sleep commando please cover those places that are sensitive , cos it WILL STING in thise areas. ). Follow the istructions on the can. It has a pleasant odur and really works.

The problem will magically go away or at worst DRAMATICALLY reduce.

For the bites, my wife had this magical white liquid that was marvelous. She would never tell me what it was. She was unable to get it recently ( its good for lots of skin things ) so I use Mentholatum. YES , I know its for Chests and Colds etc BUT it works and takes the sting and swelling away in a few minutes.

Mossy's are the very last thing people think of . You expect great big things you can see and feel. Its not true. You can see them sometimes BUT if you feel anything its too late. Its also only the females that bite and suck your blood. A male SHOULD leave you alone.

FYI, Now I live in the countryside my wife has bought me a " Tennis Raquet with electic mesh fly killer " powered from two torch batteries. Who needs a Wii for cyber tennis and the Mossy's make a nice crack bag when swiped. COOL.

Boris,

I had the problem 2 years ago... Thank god, it is over!!

It started in the spring time and at first, I thought it was mozzies bitting me, I also thought it was the humidity leading there to be more pests in the apartment. My work collegues all put it down to mozzies, so what I did was, a major cleaning of the apartment, setting up traps, and nets to catch them, it didn't matter, I was still being eating alive. So then I started putting on bug spray at night, figuring that maybe I just wasn't seeing them.

I was still waking up covered in large welts, unlike regular mozzie bites. next step was to sleep fully cover, head to toe...

After about the thrid week of this, the parinoia set in and so did the insomnia. It was one night that I felt the bedbugs, I quickly jumps up, ripped sheets off my bed, and caught one. I bagged it, looked it up on the internet and knew what I had found was a bed bug.

Once I knew what was in the bedroom, I kept searching in the room and un - covered many more bugs in various stages of growth. I started a nice little collection!

It was only then that I had the exterminators in, and while they were cleaning I was not there...

Trust me, I wanted to believe that it was anything other then bedbugs, but it was. It has beenover 2 years now, and I still wake up at night sometimes, scratching, ripping the covers off my bed and inspecting every crack I see..

It is really true what they say about these bugs, they can make a person paranoid, and a little crazy... I had serveral break downs dealing with these bugs, but it has make me alot less afraid of other insects (cockroasches) and I am able to sleep well at night. As for mozzies, I see them around, and I know how to deal with them, bug spray and a quick hand!!!

I feel for anyone who has to deal with these bugs and if I can help, let me know...

Margaret

Anyone know where you can get matress bed bug covers like 'protect a bed' or allerzip'? Been trying to order them on line, but they won't delived them to HK. We're moving home in a few weeks and doing everything possible to get rid of the little critters. Also want to protect against ever getting them again - I would love a full night's sleep!!

Bed bugs are pretty hard to get rid of. There was a huge epidemic in NYC a couple of years ago, I think it was somehow linked to the "free hugs" campaign.

Hello jbot

Where did you buy the food-grade diatomaceous earth from in HK? We've just moved into a flat and found that we have cockroaches. We have cats so I don't want to use anything harmful like boric acid. I keep reading about DE on the web but not mentioned much in forums.

Would love to know where to buy it.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4