Like Tree4Likes

Bug bites by fountains in HK Zoological Gardens?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Bug bites by fountains in HK Zoological Gardens?

Hi, last week I was sitting on a bench on the north side of the walking track that goes around the big fountains in the Hong Kong Zoological Gardens. Was only slightly aware of it at the time, but I was being bitten by some bugs - about 20-30 bites on each leg from the ankle up the calves. Looks smaller than a mosquito bite, up to half a centimetre in width and with a bit of a raised white area in the middle. I'm told it's some kind of small bug, but the person didn't know the name. Wondering if someone can tell me what kind of bug it might be. Thanks!

Didn't find out what the bugs are, but they have a much nastier bite than mosquitoes. First couple of days was bearable, but by third day couldn't resist scratching at which point the area all became inflamed. Fortunately, tiger balm works quite well. Be forewarned if hanging out by those fountains in the park.

No-see-ums? Just nondescript tiny flying bugs that bite. They are annoying whatever you call them. New Territories greener areas you get them.

Quote Originally Posted by jabalong:
    Didn't find out what the bugs are, but they have a much nastier bite than mosquitoes. First couple of days was bearable, but by third day couldn't resist scratching at which point the area all became inflamed. Fortunately, tiger balm works quite well. Be forewarned if hanging out by those fountains in the park.
    I hate these bugs too. I got a few of these bugs bites every day when I go out. They seem to like my bloodtype very well. I will go buy the tiger balm tomorrow as I've tried many things but nothing seems to work. Really annoying!

What do they look like? I've been bit by these ones that looks like a black speck of dust, and it itches like hell for about a half hour. Then it goes away until the next day it will swell up again and takes about a full week to heal. I still don't know what the hell these buggers are called... but I dread going to my family's place in Fan Ling everytime!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    What do they look like? I've been bit by these ones that looks like a black speck of dust, and it itches like hell for about a half hour. Then it goes away until the next day it will swell up again and takes about a full week to heal. I still don't know what the hell these buggers are called... but I dread going to my family's place in Fan Ling everytime!
    I had symptoms exactly like you described. Very itchy and swelly. I did manage to crush a few of them and saw the tiny little black body full of my blood(sorry a bit gross for some)...The insect repellent doesn't seem to stop them either. Could this little bugger be unique only in HK?

They sound like sand flies to me - nasty little buggers. There is not much you can do about them, nothing really helps. With time you grow kind of immune to them.
    You can recognise newbies in DB on the "damage" those things do to their legs. I don't suffer from them anymore, I did during the first few years.

I am very much a target for mosquitoes and I've been bitten in the park - so, my vote is to blame deadly killer mozzies.

Exactly same. Its so itchy....well, for me toothpaste did the trick actually. It really helps in lessening the itching.

I've been bit by these ones that looks like a black speck of dust, and it itches like hell for about a half hour. Then it goes away until the next day it will swell up again and takes about a full week to heal. I still don't know what the hell these buggers are called... but I dread going to my family's place in Fan Ling everytime!
    Plenty around my area, them black speck looking ones are the worst. I have those, black/white striped ones, 2 inch wide ones (these look dangerous but harmless), non-striped one. I get all sorts around my area.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast