Computer Prices in Hong Kong Vs. Canada

Closed Thread

Computer Prices in Hong Kong Vs. Canada

Hi there,

I'll be moving to Hong Kong from Canada in the new year. I need to buy myself a new laptop computer and I'm wondering if I should buy one before I leave or wait until I get to Hong Kong. Has anyone out there ever compared the prices of laptops in HK to the prices in Canada? Is there a significant price difference? Also, sales tax in my part of Canada is 14% - can anyone tell me what the sales tax is in Hong Kong?

Thanks.

No sales tax in Hong Kong.

Branded computer prices seem to be more competitive in the US -- specially when bought online with no sales tax.

Not too sure about canada. I suspect HK will be cheaper than Canada.

You may want to consider the validity of the warranty if you bring in a Canadian-sourced model over a HK-purchased model. Also to a lesser extent even though the power adapter will likely be auto-voltage sensing the pins will be different; I'm fussy about these little things and cutting the plug off and replacing would look unsightly to me. Replacing the power adapter is an unnecessary cost too.

>> Replacing the power adapter is an unnecessary cost too.

Good point .. but many of the notebook adapters come with interchangeable power cables, so you can hopefully replace the cable that goes to the mains.

About the only thing I can think of that's cheaper in the US would be 20+" display units...

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Compare Dell prices in Canadian papers and website with those on Dell.com.hk. There's guest-pest (GST/PST) in Canada but maybe worth a shot applying out of HK for GST rebate from CRA (though technically that's only for visitors and the rebate program is due to be dropped sometime next year). General experience in the past has been that the Dell models have been consistently configured a notch higher in Canada than in HK, but compare for yourself. Warranty's an important point.

Prices almost on par...

I just returned from a quick visit to Canada and was somewhat surprised to see the price differences, or rather, similarities. I went to all the major retailers just for a peak, and I was shocked to see, that GST aside, Hong Kong and even the mainland are almost identical to prices in Canada now, at least for computers. The days of cheaper electronics over here are over I think. However it could just be on computer goods only. With the GST it is probably slightly higher, but who knows, Hong Kong may have their own GST soon enough... But I helped my brother in law buy an Acer laptop back home, and recently helped various friends here buy the same machines. I also bought a multi-function printer back home for my mom, liked it so much I bought another one here, once again, almost identical in price. One thing I would consider however is warranty. A lot of companies I have seen now are offering very nice warranties while you are in Hong Kong or China, 3 years on a decent policy. However, if you leave China, then it becomes a 1 year limited travellers warranty right off the top. I can't say if it is the same for Canada, but I suspect you would have a harder time getting repairs or support here for something bought there. Getting warranty help can be a pain in the butt even in the place you originally bought the machine, with all appropriate reciepts, the day after you bought it, as it is burning on your desk...... But I digress...

So if you plan on staying in Hong Kong for 3 years or more, I would suggest you probably buy your machine in Hong Kong, then you don't even need to replace the power cables. If you are coming for 1 year or less, I would shop Canuck.

Remember when all us Canucks would go shopping in the states because everything was cheaper? People would talk about the crazy deals on electronics in Hong Kong?

Those days I think are over.

sirant

Last edited by sirant; 03-11-2006 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling