Like Tree1Likes

Netvigator Router Set Up

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

So, just to get this correct, you guys are using your own wireless modem+router, rather than the router provided by NOW.

Apparently so - but to get it all down to one box you need a router with an ADSL modem.

Bear in mind also that not all PCCW connections are on ADSL - some are on VDSL.

Many people (me included) just go with the PCCW DSL (non-wireless) modem and stick their own wireless router on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Apparently so - but to get it all down to one box you need a router with an ADSL modem.

Bear in mind also that not all PCCW connections are on ADSL - some are on VDSL.

Many people (me included) just go with the PCCW DSL (non-wireless) modem and stick their own wireless router on the back.
    yep, thought so.

have a spare ADSL modem, hence would like to use that, rather than having two separate boxes.

BTW how does one know if you have a VDSL connection, rather than a ADSL connection?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    So, just to get this correct, you guys are using your own wireless modem+router, rather than the router provided by NOW.
    Yes, indeed that is the case
    Just make sure you use the correct VPI and VCI settings. Mine are 1/32, but I believe in other locations in HK they are 0/32. Just experiment until you can connect.

Sorry to be digging up an old corpse here, but I'm very much interested in this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by DaManJ:
    You don't need to use the netvigator NEC NTA-3110 ADSL modem, or the netvigator wireless modem.

Just buy your own ADSL Wireless Router - i.e. I own the Dynalink RTA1025W.
    Then all you need to do when you set up the ADSL connection is make sure you use:
    Connection type - PPPOE
    VPI setting - 1
    VCI setting - 32
    Encapulation Type - LLC/SNAP

Then just use the login and password you were provided with for the PPOE connection.
    Hi DaManJ,

Are you still doing the above? Is it still working?

I should get my PCCW connexion during the week, and I was planning to buy my own modem/router to replace the one they supply and play a bit with OpenWRT or something like that.
    Last edited by bochecha; 05-03-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Same here - any particular reason that any standard ADSL combined router + modem + wifi box won't work on PCCW ADSL?

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Same here - any particular reason that any standard ADSL combined router + modem + wifi box won't work on PCCW ADSL?
    Does anyone know how to get NowTV to work with your own router / modem? Even with PPPoE passthrough on the router?

If I'm not mistaken you have to use their router for Now tv. I just disabled wifi on their router and use my own router for everything else except Now tv.

dossier likes this.

I did ask if I could get rid of their router but they said it won't work if I do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    If I'm not mistaken you have to use their router for Now tv. I just disabled wifi on their router and use my own router for everything else except Now tv.
    Thanks. My ADSL Router/Modem/Wifi box supports PPPoE passthrough, and so I was hoping it might work with the NowTV box plugged directly into it.