Like Tree1Likes

Use own my own router instead of Netvigator modem/router

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Use own my own router instead of Netvigator modem/router

Can use my own router to access the internet instead using the Netvigator Modem/Router? I know I have to attach my router to the modem, because I don't have a modem, but how do I that? When I setup my router, can I turn off the router function on the Netvigator one?
    Step by step instructions would be nice.
    Thanks

Here's how it is setup at our place.

My netvigator router's LAN is setup as is (say 192.168.8.1-255)

My Linksys is connected to one of the Lan ports and it has another static IP range ( 192.168.1.1-255 )

So essentially I have two routes.. the linksys connected to the netvigator..

Need something more specific? What router do you have?

I don't have one yet, but I'm planning to buy the Linksys WRT160N if I can find it here in HK. Will it work?

Any DSL router will work with Netvigator's modem.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    wrong... if you have a router which has a DSL modem port in it and the phone line plugs in directly to it, the modem in the router has to match the technology. There are many variants and standards in the DSL family. Also PCCW have many different DSL technlogies/speeds and vendors at least 6 that I know off.

Many countries have variations on the DSL standards.so sometimes you get a router from a country and the DSL modem will not talk to the local telco. Best have a modem from the telco and then hook what ever router.

For routers i recommend the Cisco ASA5505, it is a router/layer 3 switch, 8 ports, firewall, VPN box with a big fat cpu. Costs around HK$2700, and worth it. You will have great control over your data, be able to monitor and debug any issues. The plus license allows you to multiple VLANs internally, ie you can hook your wifi router to it and keep it isolated from your network.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    wrong... if you have a router which has a DSL modem port in it and the phone line plugs in directly to it, the modem in the router has to match the technology. There are many variants and standards in the DSL family. Also PCCW have many different DSL technlogies/speeds and vendors at least 6 that I know off.
    Congratulations trying to plug a token ring router into an Ethernet port, or just plain inability to read.

Fenix, do you usually make equipment recommendations without asking about user requirements first? Why does the OP need VPN, multiple VLANs and monitoring utilities?

The OP is clearly an inexperienced home user. You're recommending a $2700 firewall to them which would probably baffle him completely.

A WRT160N is going be five times cheaper and should be comprehendable by most home users.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Misleading use of terminology here. Yes you can plug any router into the back of the Netvigator supplied DSL modem.

But there have been very few reports of people successfully installing their own DSL Routers (i.e. DSL modem and router combined) in place of the Netvigator modem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:

For routers i recommend the Cisco ASA5505, it is a router/layer 3 switch, 8 ports, firewall, VPN box with a big fat cpu. Costs around HK$2700, and worth it. You will have great control over your data, be able to monitor and debug any issues. The plus license allows you to multiple VLANs internally, ie you can hook your wifi router to it and keep it isolated from your network.
    Hahahahaha..... You really don't have a clue do you?

Why not recommend he gets his own data centre with redundant outside links, 99.999% uptime and 3 hour callout for Cisco technicans 365x24?

JaredHK likes this.

Hi,

I had two wireless routers in HK... one Netgear and one Linksys. Both died spontaneously after 1,5 years (so after warranty) after which I gave in and asked PCCW to enable the built-in wireless of the ADSL modem. The monthly charge is unfortunate but I would have actually saved money if I would have had it enabled from day 1 on... Did not have any problems with the built-in wireless yet (and at least they come to replace the modem for free if it also dies after 1,5 years).

I miss a few features I had in my previous routers, though. The main feature missing is the possibility to assign a semi-static IP address to a certain computer.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast