Like Tree11Likes

Dropbox alternative for Mainland China? (ex-Baidu Wangpan)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dropbox alternative for Mainland China? (ex-Baidu Wangpan)

So the Communist Turd Faces have blocked Dropbox and Google Drive in Dirtland. All local file sharing services are in Chinese, so I can't navigate the website or uploaders. I am attempting to upload a file on Skydrive to see if that works.

Does anyone know of a feasible alternative?

I am trying to share three documents, each of which is 100+ MB in size with a company in China.

drumbrake likes this.

Box.net work in china , In China you have to use boxnet.cn. I just share 3 over 50mb file with a chinese factory without any problem.

Thanks, I had to sign up as a Business user because my files exceed the 100 MB limit for personal accounts, which is fine because it's useful to me as long as it works in China!

A business problem ... in 8 minutes a solution. You gotta love this forum sometimes.

But a bummer to find out dropbox is banned in China. That will cause us problems in the future too.....

Dropbox has been banned for a long time. But in recent months they opened it up again for anyone using the desktop sync application was no problem, and site was blocked. Some areas of china can still load site if you use https instead of http.

I am always struggling with sharing files in china. I've done a lot of research, which in teh interweb showed me the best current solution is Everbox.

Everbox is free, and is a local company which means less chance for getting blocked.
    That being said, there's currently no English, and very slow customer service. But they do have cross platform compatibility, and chances to earn more space (start with 7GB). They have been reliable, and decent speeds, and no serious problems yet.

ClueMinus likes this.

You business guys, you have your own servers right?

Rather than using these commercial cloud services, have you looked at setting out your own cloud server as an alternative (presumably using your own servers).

See the below article:

Host Your Own Cloud Server With OwnCloud

Dreadnought likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:

Everbox is free, and is a local company which means less chance for getting blocked.
    I get the sense that China's looking to suppress any over-reliance to anything they do not have some form of control over. Businesses do not (potentially) have power over the government seems to be the policy at play. The boundary between a yes or a no to censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    You business guys, you have your own servers right?

Rather than using these commercial cloud services, have you looked at setting out your own cloud server as an alternative (presumably using your own servers).

See the below article:

Host Your Own Cloud Server With OwnCloud
    actually no, we don't. The whole cloud revolution is allowing business to ditch the server and streamline I T.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    Box.net work in china , In China you have to use boxnet.cn. I just share 3 over 50mb file with a chinese factory without any problem.
    Is box.net the same as box.com?I presume so as when I type in box.net, I am redirected to box.com. Secondly,are you sure it is boxnet.cn in China? That address does not work for me.
    Beuze likes this.

I signed up at box.com. In China, you type in boxcn.net.

Beuze and drumbrake like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast