Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

UKNova is no more

UKNova is no more

Sad to say that UKNova has taken down all it's torrent in the last hour or so after a cease and desist from FACT. Sad day and I thought they worked within the law on what you could and could not torrent.

Admin statement reads
    "To the members of UKNova.

UKNova is being forced to change. We have been issued with a "cease and desist" order by FACT (The Federation Against Copyright Theft).

We therefore currently have no other choice and will be closing the trackers. It has not been an easy decision to take, but it is apparently our only option.

The forums will remain open for business as usual. Torrents and their associated pages will disappear over the next few hours."

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Sad to say that UKNova has taken down all it's torrent in the last hour or so after a cease and desist from FACT. Sad day and I thought they worked within the law on what you could and could not torrent.

Admin statement reads
    "To the members of UKNova.

UKNova is being forced to change. We have been issued with a "cease and desist" order by FACT (The Federation Against Copyright Theft).

We therefore currently have no other choice and will be closing the trackers. It has not been an easy decision to take, but it is apparently our only option.

The forums will remain open for business as usual. Torrents and their associated pages will disappear over the next few hours."
    Sad indeed, I had recently logged on and wondered why the "Torrents" tab was not available.

UKNova were quite strict about potential breaches of copyright etc. such a pity the 'Big' lawyers picked on them!!!

The website and list of torrents seem to be gone but the tracker itself is still up and fully functioning.
    Dont know if/when/how they will get new ones up but for now, the old torrents are still working for those who were connected....

Still sucks...argh.

pin

Oh well I guess its The Box in that case.

Or usenet .....................
    Last edited by pin; 27-08-2012 at 07:08 AM.

BUMMER. I agree - UKNova was the most ethical of the lot of them. Pathetic.

Has this happened before with UKNova?

pin

Just driving up underground.

as of this morning, the tracker is still functioning - I'm hoping that it will be resurrected by someone else, somewhere else.

Well, you can see why FACT wouldn't want to allow "pirate sites" to draft their own "ethical rules", when there are already "ethical rules" in the form of laws governing the same behaviour...

Personally, I disagree with the notion that publishing information about something is equivalent to doing that thing (i.e., publishing a link to a file hosted elsewhere by an unrelated third party is the same as hosting it yourself), but that appears to be the direction "intellectual property" law is evolving. Kinda makes having the entire WWW indexed by a single, for-profit company look a bit dangerous, doesn't it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast