Like Tree50Likes

NAS, Cloud Services and Alternatives

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

NAS, Cloud Services and Alternatives

Hello all,

Just started looking into NAS systems to address my memory storage issues. I like some of the benefits of a NAS but I do not know a lot about them and I know quite a few of you have quite a bit of experience with this stuff. I will try to keep it brief so let me know if you need more details.

- We have 4 MacBooks, 1 Mac Mini, 1 Apple TV and may add a PC in the future.
    - Have been using portable external drives with Time Machine for back up storage until now with mixed experiences. Reliability issues, maybe I've been using the wrong brands, I don't know...
    - Would like to be able to have more storage capacity than these portable drives offer.
    - Like to be able to move memory hog files like pictures and video off of our computers (mainly on the Mac Mini now).
    - And the NAS would enable us to see those pictures off of any other computer/tablet. Would also be able to allow family back home to see our pictures through the NAS.

I haven't looked into it much yet, but I suppose Cloud services do just about the same thing? How does it compare price-wise in the long run?

Although I am ok with hooking up audio visual equipment and to some extent, I am not as comfortable with computer related set ups. I've read that Synology, although it tends to cost a little more, might be worth it for someone like me.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We have a Synology at home - been using it for the last 4 years now and quite happy with it.

Does backups, handles all the media serving (photos, videos) across the house and can handle Apple Time MAchine format backups.

The web based configuration is one of the best out there .. so fairly easy to use.

A NAS is quite a convenient way to store data. I got a Synology NAS too at home, where I'm on ADSL (means to upload rate via the web to the outside world is quite low). But the download rate is the normal 800k/s or so. So I use it sometimes to D/L movies in the office (100M line) and then from the office connect to the home NAS and upload it there for later use.

The problem with cloud services is that I don't trust them. Dropbox I would trust, but the u/d rate is not the fastest. If you want fast cloud storage google is probably much better.

Shri, that seems to be the consistent theme about Synology. Sounds like the type of brand suitable for me.

How is the pricing of NAS systems in Hong Kong? I suppose it will not be as cheap as in the US, but at least relatively the same as everywhere else in the world.

Is SSP the best area to go to look at these? Any particular shop or are they all the same and warranty will be the same?

There are so many models to choose from. It will serve as my primary back up. So in choosing the number of bays, would I need to double it up for this reason? (I may use my existing external drives just for irreplaceable things like family pictures and store it in a different location just to be safe.)

I am sure I will have many more questions to come.

BTW, I will be switching to HKBN from PCCW so I will need to get a new wifi router (thinking about the ASUS AC68U as recommended by WMDS on here). Does a NAS also serve as a router? Will I still need to get the ASUS AC68U?

Last edited by Rayzilla; 24-08-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Upper ground & 1st floor of Golden Computer (SSP) has quite a few shops that sell every type/brand of NAS.

Walk around for 30 minutes and compare models/prices before buying.

Compare prices here: NAS 器材 - 網絡 - 電腦 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

I would allways run 2 HDD as a mirror for safety reasons. HDDs will break down, just a question of when.

For the router, IMHO it doesn't really matter. I sense you are not a computer nerd, so the advanced features of routers over HK$500 you couldn't work out anyway. Or maybe you don't need them. All routers can do basic port forwarding etc.

The ASUS AC68U is really advanced, routers in the HK$150 range may suit you as well.

Rayzilla likes this.

Thanks flameproof. I assume "mirror" means back up but on a more frequent or real time basis? If so, does this mean that the back up is x2 or just once, as in original plus one back up?

Regarding the router, the HKBN technician said that the router that they provide is not very good, and it was the case when I was able to test it for the day when he did the installation (now waiting for the PCCW contract to expire in two weeks). The PCCW router had much greater range (maintained a strong signal as I moved away from the living room where the router is located).

So my question is, are all routers made equal in terms of range or do they need to be set up to maximize their range? Does a NAS do the same thing as a separate router?

Last edited by Rayzilla; 24-08-2014 at 12:28 PM.

I meant, have a NAS with 2 HDD that contain exactly the same. So if one goes bad you don't lose data. I lost a single HDD that had no backup and I know that this can be quite painful.

Routers have different ranges. It may be just a question of putting one in the right location and adjusting the antennas.

NAS are usually connected to a router by either Ethernet cable or Wifi.

Out Nas is a 6 Bay unit with 1TB drives in it. Since I use it to to back up a fair but of data I went with something that had the most RAM AND C&U in the consumer range.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Out Nas is a 6 Bay unit with 1TB drives in it. Since I use it to to back up a fair but of data I went with something that had the most RAM AND C&U in the consumer range.
    Shri, what RAID configuration do you use for your 6 drives?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast