telephone, internet, television and overseas phone calls

Closed Thread

telephone, internet, television and overseas phone calls

moving to HK in the early fall and wondering if anyone can help me find a reasonable way to get all the above mentioned things preferably with some north american channels?

thank you

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

all for one or one for all?

if you're looking at a one-stop-shop for all your needs.....

www.pccw.com

or call 1000 when you get here...

free us phone number w/ unlimited calls to the us/canda

try to move yr us phone number to siprano.com and take the tel adapter to hk. yr phone will get calls from the states like locally n u can call the us n canada for free. the only thing u need to do in hong kong is to subscribe to a Broadband internet connection that costs around Hk$200/month one flat rate.

Talking Skype.com

RJER

Once you have broadband hooked up, log into SKYPE.COM, this will give you free calls overseas via the internet and all you need is a headset so you can hear and talk back. But to make it work, the people you are calling should also download SKYPE and you can talk to eachother for FREE. You can also call people from the internet who only have the basic telephone, all you have to do is buy minutes and they are very cheap - you can see rates online. I have family all over the world and talk to them via SKYPE.COM, and the sound quality is excellent, all you guys have to do is agree a time to call and be online. Cheers T

looks very interesting but the problem is that it may not be convenient to call whenever you like.
    I was looking for something from a land line or a cell phone with a good international deal on minutes used.
    Roughly how much would something like that cost?

I do agree that SKYPE is good and I probably will try that as well...

thanks for the great answers and please keep them coming.

Note that even on your normal phone line or cellphone you can quite easily get a deal which would give you costs of a little over 2 US cents per minute to call US (+ Canada, Australia, UK,...) so whether you think the hassle of prearranging times to sit in front of computers is worth saving less than the cost of a bottle of beer in a bar per hour's call is up to you...

Well HK has only 4 local channels. 2 in English, these have north american shows. Otherwise you could subscribe to now broadband tv or cable tv. Anyway, for people like me, i stream my shows from the internet at a price. Some people just downlaod the latest shows.

Be aware that the HK Police are cracking down now on online theft of movies and other video content. People are being prosecuted for this.

siprano.com<<

Another option is Broadvoice.com
    $19.99 for Unlimited Calls to the US, Canada, Europe and parts of Asia incl China. A person on this forum referred me to these guys and they have ben great.