Help with Mobile Phone Service and Handset

Closed Thread

Help with Mobile Phone Service and Handset

I went to Mong Kok and got the following information from PCCW Sunday and Vodaphone. The saleswoman at PCCW suggested I buy a SIM card and HK compatible phone. She said if I wanted to take the phone back to NYC I should get a Triband and if not just get something like the Nokia 1600. My use is for job search purposes as I might change serviced apts and want a somewhat permanent number for people to reach me. Any comments on these deals (if they are deals). Realative to US prices seem reasonable. Do they normally charge to install the SIM card? Am thinking if I no longer need the phone can sell it for 1/2 price so the capital outlay for job search wont be too much. Thank you!

HKD$
    PCCW:

SIM Card 400 Mins HKD$48
    Sony Erricson J100 580
    Nokia 1600 588
    Motorola C139 499

Triband
    Nokia 6020 HKD$998
    Sony Erricson K310i 998

Vodaphone:
    Samsung X208 HKD$1080
    Sony Erricson K510 1380

MotoHK : I would actually recommend a quad-band for good coverage in the US. Quad bands include 850Mhz support which gives you much better stateside coverage on AT&T and Cingular networks, specially in areas which are not densely populated.

Sim card installation takes all of 30 seconds (if not less) .. open your phone and slide the damn thing in.

By the way, no need to sell the phone... you can always use it in the US by buying a t-mobile rechargeable SIM ...

Thanks. I’m actually not too knowledgeable about the different bands. Are you saying if I get a quad band then I can use it in the US with a T-Mobile rechargeable SIM or does that work for the Sony Ericson J100, Nokia 1600, and Motorola C139 models too? For some reason I thought only a tri-mode and as you added a quad mode would be useable in the US?

My focus is on price and keeping cash outlays low while looking for a job but if there are compelling reasons to get a more expensive phone I might do so.

Sorry, I confused the issues a little bit.

What I meant was, if you're in some areas or a subscriber of AT&T and/or Cingular, go with a Quad band phone.

Your tri-band phone will continue to work in the US and if you move back, there is not need to sell it .. you can use it with the local providers there, like T-Mob with their rechargable SIMs.

Just to clarify and if it is not a tri band (or higher) phone, then it will be unuseable outside of HK? I'm thinking someone will take a phone for 1/2 price if I ever leave or land a job and decide to get regular service. Thanks in advace.

It will be unusable in the US. Regular Dual band GSM phones work virtually everywhere other than north america.

Would also recommend wandering down Ap Liu Street and buying a second hand phone if you're tight on money.

http://www.geoexpat.com/hong-kong/sh...reet-for-guys/

hi thanks for the response. do you think i'm better off with a new dual band or a used tri+ band? ballpark (guess) savings amount? not really into used stuff. $80US is OK but spending over $125 is too much for an unemployed punk like me.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoHK:
    hi thanks for the response. do you think i'm better off with a new dual band or a used tri+ band? ballpark (guess) savings amount? not really into used stuff. $80US is OK but spending over $125 is too much for an unemployed punk like me.
    You can easily find a used or new triband for less than a Benjamin. Last week, Gome advertised an ugly but functional Pantech flipphone with VGA camera for HK$599 and also a Korean KBT candybarstyle phone for HK$799. Both are triband and suitable for use in the US.

Again, I don't recommend a dualband as it's not suitable for use in the US and if you'd be hard to find a buyer even if u want to get rid of it later on.

Ofcourse, KIA is right (as always). Quad band is the way to go in the US. It will not give you blanket coverage as CDMA is still prevalent in some areas (why?). The GSM standard for mobile/cell phones is international. GSM phones can operate in any of the four bands that GSM has reserved. A dual band phone will work fine in most countries but a quad band will work in any country that supports the GSM standard.
    Nearly all phones sold here in HK are unlocked and useable with any sim card. Ask before you buy though. I guess you will be buying as is and without a contract so that means it will definatley be unlocked.
    As when buying anything second-hand you need your wits about you and no matter how sweet-talking the sales staff seem you need to check everything as after-sales service (ha ha ha did I say that?) is non-existent.