Opening bank account

Closed Thread

Opening bank account

Before I get to the question I'd like to thank all the regular contributors to these forums. I am moving out to HK in three weeks and have been planning / organising things for the last few months - the advice and information gained from this site has been very useful (I owe some beers when you next have a get together)

Most things I read suggest you need a bank reference (in addition to passport, money and a suitable contract/proof of employment) to open a bank account. I have been to see my bank (based in UK) who say they will not issue a bank reference to an individual but only to another bank if they (the bank) request it.

Can anyone advise if a bank reference is essential to open a new account in HK and whether there are any other crucial documents I require?

Thanks in advance.

I didn't need a bank reference, I opened my account on my employment contract, an overseas check which would take them a month to process (and in the meantime my account would have about HK$100 in it), and my passport. Didn't even have a working visa yet.

This was at Hang Seng, which I picked pretty much at random, and which are considered one of the more strict banks with regards to documentary requirements. Walk into one of the second tier banks and you can probably just bring cash and a passport.

HSBC would require a HKID, but other banks are more flexible. Citibank, you need only your passport to open an account.

Thanks for the advice - cash, passport and contract it is then.

Cheers

>> cash, passport and contract it

Ah .. the life of a mercenary.