an aussie newbe!

Closed Thread

Now in HK and to be precise in Po Lam, I lived in many places around the world Kuwait, Jordan, Italy and of finally settled down in Australia which I call home right now

Smile an aussie newbe!

G'Day guys ... am new to this site so hope am in the right place ... right so I made the move to HK a month ago and I live near work which is also far far away from civilisation

I live at po lam and I was wondering if any of you boys and girls are around this side of town who would be keen to meet up for coffee, drinks, dinning or just go to movies every now and then?

Also is there any place to go out for a drink my side of town near hang hau or po lam? I am getting tried of spending an hour on the mtr to central ... I am new here and would like to meet new people ... i have to say its been great so far ... and once i get my social network done i'll be very happy here

cheers
    brisyboy

Have you tried heading towards Sai Kung - if my geography is correct, this is closer to you and also has many expats.....

Now in HK and to be precise in Po Lam, I lived in many places around the world Kuwait, Jordan, Italy and of finally settled down in Australia which I call home right now

ya thought about that but many local work mate told me am better off going to lkf? hmmm maybe i should go there and see for my self ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brisyboy7:
    ya thought about that but many local work mate told me am better off going to lkf? hmmm maybe i should go there and see for my self ...
    Depends what type of folks u want to meet - young things into drinking or older folks more interested in conversing....

bear in mind that the majority of locals assume that if your western, there si NO other place you'd rather be than lkf or wanchai on a night out...

I am after the conversation for sure ..

Get yourself over to Sai Kung then - there is an expat community over there, a number of bars/cafes/restaurants that they frequent (so I'm told, I don't live there ) but it's a little older than the LWF set - sounds like you might like it. Hopefully someone here can give you a start - Skyhook seems to know alot about it and Carang lives in the vicinity (in the middle of nowhere, but vaguely in that area!). AMCHAM and the Australian Association are also places to start, or joining a meetup (see meetup.com and look for something you enjoy) or just come along to the gatherings that get posted on here from time to time....

you could try Steamers or the Duke of York in Sai Kung Town. truth be told, i've only been to steamers once (and that was about 2 years ago)... i've got two young kids and a husband who's very busy walking dogs during the evening, so we don't make it out very often.

i'm sure if you went on a weekend evening, there would be people around to chat with. (although, we do get a lot of "day-trippers" in sai kung over the weekend and traffic can be a bitch.

thanks guys i think one of my students lives there near the market so might just have to hang around with him one day see the area and have a low key one ... cool i have so much info from a couple of posts this is a great place ...