Like Tree1Likes

Living in Lamma Island..is it good?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have also been looking around HK for the last three months with a budget similar to the one mentioned above. Beaches, villages, country walks, great local and foreign food, community spirit, no cars, except a cute little ambulance, beautiful trip to work (rather than crammed in into a steel tube) and fresh air.
    Really, for any comparable on HK Island you need $10k a month atleast and battle the traffic. The only vague downside I can see is that if you want to go out at night, you might have to stay out, although I have heard there are some other water-taxi-like options, but i'd rather sek siu ye or sauna+massage and catch the first ferry back.

As for ferry reliability, I defer to the experts, but I have asked a few and this is the first I have ever heard of it.....but also, thanks for keep the rents low.

And now I can happily say that I am the proud tenant of a Lamma apartment, moving in this week!

Woohooo!

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup

Although the published ferry fare is only $11, you've gotta figure in "concrete boot" ferry protection money to the Lamma Diads (there's only two of them but they are 150% badder than regular triads.)
    That's gotta add $195 a day to your six hour commute.
    And the last ferry from central is around 4-5pm, if it bothers to go at all. The first one off Lamma in the morning is around 11am, although I generally wait for the police launch to Central, since the morning ferry's destination is pretty unreliable, with it generally beaching onto a different Pok Fu Lam rock every day.
    Waders and an understanding boss are an essential part of island commuting life.
    check out www.lamma.com.hk to see what misery we live in here.

knk likes this.

taihunggao, I have no idea what you've just posted. What are "concrete blocks"?

And how are you sharing information that the ferry doesn't take off in the morning until 11:00am and last returns at 5:00pm when every other poster has spoken of tremendously more available hours?

I have co-workers that live on Lamma joyfully taking the 7:30 morning ferry like clockwork. They love that they get to breathe (when they're not smoking, of course) when they get home at night.

Personally, I hated Lamma. I house sat for a month. I hated the commute. I hated how quiet, peaceful, and remote it was. I hated that everyone knew everyone and everyone's business. I hated the lack of transportation options.

So, I moved my butt to the anti-thesis neighborhood (C-Bay)! I get plenty of honking horns, blaring lights, heavy pollution, and waiting at crosswalks thanks to all the transportation options! <grin>

Okay Veeranki... that's my 2 cents.

Taihunggao: love the handle and the post. Nutters like you are the reason why Lamma is a cool place..hehe.

Wink

Okay. I get it... vroom.. right over my head that one went. Thanks Jay.

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup

LMAO! Donnialda, that's what living in c-bay will do to you

Well, Well

Thanks to all the expats for their valuable comments, suggestions and what not, for everything.

I Finally had moved to Hong Kong in Jan 1st week, after celebrating my New Year Eve grandly in Thailand. After staying for two weeks in a hotel at Wan Chai, facing all those messy traffic, cool winds and some nasty expensive Indian food, I now found a house in, yes, The Lamma Island.

I would be sharing a fully furnished 3 BHK with my Indian Colleagues rented at HK$6000 per month (shared by three), at Tai Wan Village (name not sure) near Yung Shue Wan (a 5 minutes walk from the Dollarful Travel agency on that narrow family walk path). Had travelled through fast ferry in the last weekend and felt ok, for my daily commutation.

Would really likes the place, especially the peacefulness. Planning to have a round around the Lamma in this weekend to get ...more a feel, perhaps with a fisherman get-up

More details follows in my next posts..and I confess am happy to join the community of all those profound Lammarites

Thanks again to all, truely great, forum members and your priceless amount of help done.

Keep rocking HK

Cheers
    Veeranki

Welcome to Lamma Veeranki!

I'm surpirsed you made it here at all considering the amount of rubbish information that was posted in the first 4 or 5 replies.

BTW, if you travel on the ferry regularly, make sure you get a monthly ticket. Unlimited travel for $495 / month. You can only buy it during the last few and first few days of the month and you'll need a passport sized photo for the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungle:
    Welcome to Lamma Veeranki!

I'm surpirsed you made it here at all considering the amount of rubbish information that was posted in the first 4 or 5 replies.

BTW, if you travel on the ferry regularly, make sure you get a monthly ticket. Unlimited travel for $495 / month. You can only buy it during the last few and first few days of the month and you'll need a passport sized photo for the card.
    Thanks a lot Bungle.

Yep gotto know about that monthly ticket. Iam planning to take it from Feb 1st, since I am now, almost in the mid of the month . Presently managing with Octopus paying on daily basis.

Cheers