Hairdresser

Hairdresser

Hi,
    Got another question in regards to my girlfriend, she is British.
    I should get a HK ID when i go over there later this year and should be cool to get a job.
    My girlfriend on the other hand is a qualified hairdresser for Essensuals (Toni & Guy). In fact she has just been promoted to a Senior Stylist
    When we move over later this year (Oct/Nov) she is hoping to find a job. She has never been over and i think the culture shock and moving from her family may be a little too much for her to spend a year there. She also doesn't speak any chinese at all.
    So I have some questions

1. Do you think she would be able to find a hairdressing job without the need of speaking chinese?
    2. How would she go about getting the paper or whatever to get to work out there.
    3. As she may not be able to handle a year, it wouldn't be wise for her to sign a year contract - is it possible to have a short term contract (maximum 6 months). If she like it we may make it permenant.

Banned

Hey

1) Im a teacher over here and only 18 years old, I didn't have a problem finding the job even though I'm not properly qualified. There is a Toni and Guy in central. If shes is properly qualified then I don't think there would be a problem. I'm not too sure about the language barrier!

3)Im 18 and ive been here for 5 months! I was homesick at first but now im absolutely loving it out here!Hong Kong is a great place seriously! Its a chance in a lifetime!I am also a british girl. I must admit it is a culture shock, but a good one. When I went back home for christmas, I realised Hong Kong is so much better than england!

I hope that helps

Kelly

nice one kelly,
    i'd be interest to know how you got your teaching job - what qualification did u get TEFL? & where from?
    how the money from teaching - can u survive?
    How are you handling the language barrier?

Banned

I apllied through my school in England actually. Someone in the year above me came to Hong Kong last year and did the same thing but was living in Mong Kok. He was working in the neighbouring school to the one I work in now. I finished my A-levels in the previous summer, thats all the experience I have! Because I am living out here alone, I have become really independent! It made me realise that I didn't need anyone to support me anymore! Now, Im settled and feel great. I live on the Kowloon side of the island in a place called Tin Shui wai, New territories. There aren't many western people at all in this area so I will get stared at a lot but you get used to it. In New territories, you will find the odd person speaks some English, but not a lot. However, on Hong Kong side, it is a lot easier to communicate with people.

Kelly

looking for job

well,i'm a malaysian chinese.my partner is in Hong Kong. i'm looking for job in hong kong.do u think it is possible to get a hairdressing job in hong kong as a foreigner?is it easy for me to get the visa?
    can i survive there?how about the salary and expenses?
    thanks for advises.

we're in de same situation!

Quote Originally Posted by bayb
    well,i'm a malaysian chinese.my partner is in Hong Kong. i'm looking for job in hong kong.do u think it is possible to get a hairdressing job in hong kong as a foreigner?is it easy for me to get the visa?
    can i survive there?how about the salary and expenses?
    thanks for advises.

we're in de same situation!
    You and a potential employer need to demonstrate that you fill a void that is not available among the local workforce. This is typically done by demonstrating education/training and a number of years on the job.

if it is hard to get a visa, then get nmarried to yoiur partner, then you can get get an dependent visa