working in china?

Closed Thread

working in china?

Do I need a work permit/visa to permanatly reside/work in China? I hold US + HKSAR Passport.

Thx advance,

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody:
    Do I need a work permit/visa to permanatly reside/work in China? I hold US + HKSAR Passport.

Thx advance,
    Anyone who is not a resident/citizen of the PRC would need a work/resident permit to take up living/working in the PRC.

You do not need a visa to enter PRC if you keep your American citizenship hidden and apply for a return home card (with the HKSAR passport) to cross the borders into mainland China.

I do have this return home card, can I use that to work in china?

Chinese rules are slippery.
    Difficult to say, what is nescessary.
    Is the depends on the company which you are working for in China. Do they have a good relationship with chinese government...you don't need to pay any tax or no need working Visa - need only the normal China travel Visa. Have the company not a close friendship to government, you need to pay tax and working Visa. But it's easy to get. In any case, your company will arrange that for you. No need to worry, to get a working Visa in China it's much more eaiser than in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody:
    I do have this return home card, can I use that to work in china?
    Expatpanda basically hit the nail on the head. If the company you want to work for has a good relationship with the Government of course they are going to turn a blind eye to illegal work, if they don't, than you need to go through proper legal channels.

I am confused why being a resident of the HKSAR you feel it makes you a resident of PRC? Taiwan, Macau, Hong Kong are all part of China, but all have different ID cards/passport/visa rules/governments.

Great, thanks.. I'll start looking, aiming for shanghai and peking..

I never said I felt I was a resident of PRC, though I was just confused about the 1 country, 2 systems policy, the laws in china is confusing as all hell and that does'nt help... someone told me that you cannot enter China with a HKSAR passport without a visa, but as long as you have a return home card, you can enter visa free as many time as you please.. so I was'nt sure how the employment process worked, I try to stay on the law abiding side

Last edited by justsomebody; 04-04-2007 at 08:06 PM.