Working Visa - Job Change

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Working Visa - Job Change

I have two questions.
    Firstly, I have a British passport, with working visa for a teaching job in a learning centre. I've now been offered another job, but I had a lot of trouble getting the visa in the first place and I'm wondering how it works if I want to change jobs. Do the new employers have to go through the sponsorship process for me again, or do we just need to inform immigration of the job change? In which case, is it likely there might be a problem with any of that and is there a chance of me getting refused for the job change?

I'm also wondering, if I decided to leave the current job - without joining another job - would I have to leave the country immediately after leaving the job, as the visa would presumably become void? If so, would I be able to re-enter the country on a visitors visa?

Thanks to anyone who can help with any of this!

Emigra

hello

You will have to arrange change of sponsorship application.

With regards to this question:

"In which case, is it likely there might be a problem with any of that and is there a chance of me getting refused for the job change?"

This really depends on a case by case basis.

With regards to this question:

I'm also wondering, if I decided to leave the current job - without joining another job - would I have to leave the country immediately after leaving the job, as the visa would presumably become void? If so, would I be able to re-enter the country on a visitors visa?

You are allowed to stay in Hong Kong on that employment visa until it expires. But you are not allowed to take up any other employment on the remaining time on that employment visa that you secured with your previous employer.

Thanks for your help

My working visa allows me to stay here until June 2007. Due to internal restructuring my employment will now end by this year.

My HR department told me leaving HK within 2 weeks after the termination was my next step to take.

I was confused to hear this as I believed that I could stay here until 2007 even not having found a new sponsor yet.

Is my HR department right or is she at the wrong end? Or am I missing some part?

Please share your thoughts!!!

Cheers,

vonDutch

HR is wrong. Immigration will allow you to stay (and to exit and re-enter) for as long as your Employment Visa is valid provided that (if questioned) you can show that you are making reasonable efforts to find another job here.

As always the best course si to talk directly to the Immigration Department whom I have always found to be very helpful.

second that PDLM, far as immig people go they're the best i've encountered thus far. and thanks for the info, may find it useful as well.

Thanks for the input. I have to pay the Immigration a visit today.

Have other questions in mind that I will fire on the Imm Dept.

Cheers,

VonDutch

I paid the Immigration a visit today. They told me that in case my ex-employer has informed them of the ending of my contract, I will have to leave HK and pay the unpaid taxes at once as well (I started to work beginning 2005)!!!

If wanting to stay here, I need to apply for an extension of stay and let the Immigration Dept know that I am hunting for a new sponsor. Then it is up to the Imm whether I can stay or not.

In case my ex-employer hasn't notified the Imm of anything, I can stay as long as my visa allows me to do so. Unfortunately, my ex-boss is a very law abiding company.

Any suggestions or tips how to handle with the Imm? Or anyone with the same experience?

Thanks in advance.

That's strange - I persoanlly talked to Immigration and was told that I could stay up to the limit of my visa (although I actually had a new job within a couple of weeks and the visa transfer authorised with 3 weeks after that), and I have another friend who was told the same and actually remained unemployed for several months (with his wife on an old-style dependant visa being employed). I know that my previous employer was very prompt in notifying Immigration of me leaving. I have heard suggestions though that it depends on the seniority of the job you are in - the more senior the position the more flexibility Immigration give.

I just showed the Imm my passport only, so he didn't have any idea what position I held. Anyway, I will wait for the Imm to contact me instead of submitting an extension of stay right now. Such an action implies that I am aware of the fact that I should leave HK right away.

My ex-employer also requested me to go to the Inland Revenue Department and pay taxes without taking into consideration whether I will stay in HK or not. Is this the right procedure to follow? PDLM, did you have to do that as well?

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast