Like Tree76Likes

First Day of work tomorrow

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

First Day of work tomorrow

Any of you can share your experiences about what is the best advice to interact (or just get along) with the locals (or people that have the local "Hong Kong" mindset)?

I have worked for a few years but that was in NY, USA. It's a lot easier for me to fit into the workplace and get along with the coworkers there but now I am in Hong Kong. In NY, I tend to be very blunt and take initiative to solve problems. If I can solve problems by myself, I will without the need to bother others.

Unfortunately, I know this is not the case in Hong Kong. Can any of your experienced people share your advice and/or experiences?

Criticism appreciated.

Be open and honest but don't be too chummy with them.
    Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

Local culture is very black and white, they're not trained to think out of the box so be prepared for lack of initiative

A_New_Life and cwardnyc like this.

For those under you, you have taken someones promotion and for those above you you could take their job later. That should be enough for you to judge what you interaction should be.

A_New_Life likes this.

Just be polite and friendly. Suggest keeping your opinion to yourself until you know what kind of environment you are in. And even then, be cautious. Don't expect a welcome wagon or that info is forthcoming either. Otherwise, good luck!

Sent from my Z30 using GeoClicks mobile app

If there are any issues with co-workers try to speak to them about them directly. Unfortunately, the culture is avoidance based. If they have a problem with you they will frequently speak to a higher level executive or management, as the case may be, rather than speak to you directly. The executive or management will then discuss the issue with you. I have had this occur myself and others have told me the same even at top tier firms as well. It does occur frequently in UK firms as well but would almost never happen in the US. In the US, the person who speaks to the executive above you would be termed a "narc" or coward for not speaking to the co-worker directly and going above them. Take a look at internations.org for cultural suggestions as well. They can be helpful if the employer has provided no cultural indoctrination program.

Last edited by biffski; 16-06-2014 at 12:15 AM.

I have worked for UK firms for 40 years and noone has ever gone over my head to complain. Subordinates have complained directly to me about my behaviour!

bibbju and cwardnyc like this.

In HK I found one problem was the assumption that you were another arrogant expat. Obviously this is based on their experience of expats, but it is a case of guilty until proven innocent.

bibbju, Boris and foreverhobbes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    In HK I found one problem was the assumption that you were another arrogant expat. Obviously this is based on their experience of expats, but it is a case of guilty until proven innocent.
    Very true. Locals colleagues will also tend to assume you're earning huge amounts of money and have everything paid for by the company, again basing this on old stereotypes of expats they've known or "heard about".

I agree with all the advice on this thread apart from the bit about "if there are any issues with co-workers, speak to them about it directly" (and the stuff about the UK but that's irrelevant to your situation). Do not speak to co-workers about issues directly. This is a bad idea!! Unless you're working in a more "international" environment, this will cause loss of face, make everyone uncomfortable and achieve nothing worthwhile. It will also demonstrate your lack of cultural awareness (expect to be judged on this by your management). You may find that "lack of cultural awareness" is something that gets thrown at you on a regular basis, particularly if you have expectations that people will do their jobs to an acceptable (or even, okay) level. And heaven forbid you expect anyone to miss lunch in order to meet an important deadline. Epic fail! Lunch comes first. Also be aware that cultural awareness is a one-way street. Your culture doesn't matter so don't expect it to.

The best advice I can give you is to play your cards very close to your chest. You need to demonstrate that you're a team player, open and friendly but don't give too much away. And don't think you can behave the same way as the locals do. You will be held to different standards (most of which you will have to work out yourself, sometimes learning the hard way), double standards usually. Your local colleagues WILL talk about you behind your back. A LOT. Especially in the beginning. What they say probably won't resemble the truth (in your eyes) as they will be judging what you say/do from a local perspective which may be very different from yours. Don't take it personally. Someone new will eventually come along for them to complain about and you'll just be last year's gweilo.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Very true. Locals colleagues will also tend to assume you're earning huge amounts of money and have everything paid for by the company, again basing this on old stereotypes of expats they've known or "heard about".

I agree with all the advice on this thread apart from the bit about "if there are any issues with co-workers, speak to them about it directly" (and the stuff about the UK but that's irrelevant to your situation). Do not speak to co-workers about issues directly. This is a bad idea!! Unless you're working in a more "international" environment, this will cause loss of face, make everyone uncomfortable and achieve nothing worthwhile. It will also demonstrate your lack of cultural awareness (expect to be judged on this by your management). You may find that "lack of cultural awareness" is something that gets thrown at you on a regular basis, particularly if you have expectations that people will do their jobs to an acceptable (or even, okay) level. And heaven forbid you expect anyone to miss lunch in order to meet an important deadline. Epic fail! Lunch comes first. Also be aware that cultural awareness is a one-way street. Your culture doesn't matter so don't expect it to.

The best advice I can give you is to play your cards very close to your chest. You need to demonstrate that you're a team player, open and friendly but don't give too much away. And don't think you can behave the same way as the locals do. You will be held to different standards (most of which you will have to work out yourself, sometimes learning the hard way), double standards usually. Your local colleagues WILL talk about you behind your back. A LOT. Especially in the beginning. What they say probably won't resemble the truth (in your eyes) as they will be judging what you say/do from a local perspective which may be very different from yours. Don't take it personally. Someone new will eventually come along for them to complain about and you'll just be last year's gweilo.
    I do find that lunch hour is sacrosanct in Hong Kong. Not saying it is right or wrong, just an observation. I think I can understand why. Since the local bosses tend to keep their employees for routine (and usually not compensated) OT, whether there is a real need or not, I think lunch hour is the unspoken compensation. A little personal time they have in return for putting up with the extra hours when they much rather be at home.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 16-06-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Don't trust anyone. Employees in Hong Kong aren't interested in being part of a team, they aren't interested in the company.and they certainly aren't their to meet people and have fun. People in Hong Kong work to make money and get ahead. No matter how nice they may seem, they will throw you under the bus to get ahead. HOng Kong respect the boss and the boss only. Don't expect any help from anyone unless they report to you, and you are directly responsible for their salaries.

Boris, Squid1 and Skyhook like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast