Like Tree81Likes

we will have maid for first time today, advices please.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

we will have maid for first time today, advices please.

Dear knowledgeable Geoexpat community,

1. are they expected to have there own toiletries, including towels, tissue papers, even on first day?
    2. we are thinking about installing 3 security cameras this weekend, where can we buy easy to install decent security cameras, even for the tech ignorant, allowing viewing via wifi and night vision? details like brand, price, location to buy please. we prefer the security cameras with the non transparent shell, so not sure which way they are looking.
    2b. is it reasonable to have a camera in our kitchen?
    3. is it reasonable to keep the "master bedroom" permanently locked? as jeweleries and computer notebooks are kept there.

thanks in advance for advices and helpful comments

Quote Originally Posted by Tioga:
    Dear knowledgeable Geoexpat community,

1. are they expected to have there own toiletries, including towels, tissue papers, even on first day?
    2. we are thinking about installing 3 security cameras this weekend, where can we buy easy to install decent security cameras, even for the tech ignorant, allowing viewing via wifi and night vision? details like brand, price, location to buy please. we prefer the security cameras with the non transparent shell, so not sure which way they are looking.
    3. is it reasonable to keep the "master bedroom" permanently locked? as jeweleries and computer notebooks are kept there.

thanks in advance for advices and helpful comments
    OK I know this will be off tangent but my 2 cents (others am sure will reply to your queries)

My advice. Instal a climat of trust between you and your helper.

You do not want to spent most of your time worrying if she is doing the right things or not, stealing etc etc.

I mean locking the door of your master bedroom?

Please most helpers are not thieves or dishonest. Most are a good bunch. treat them with respect, dignity and trust them and you should be rewarded (unless you are very unlucky and/or recruited very badly).

I leave the floor for others to provide more adequate answers.

I'm sorry I don't know very much about having a full time helper (I just have someone come and clean), but 1. why not be nice and prepare these things for her for the first time? It would be welcoming! 2. Really? I'm not sure if so much security is standard, but it sounds a bit excessive. The helpers I know are very trustworthy. Have some faith in your fellow humans! (And put less value on your jewelry!)

Hapi and lealei like this.

I think most might have safe in their wardrobe or something where the real valuables might be kept. I wouldn't lock your door as it would be a bad way to start the relationship. I would ONLY maybe advise on a camera if you had a child the helper would be taking care of during the day. We have one only in the baby's bedroom but that's mostly for his grandparents in the US to see him when he's sleeping ;-) Not for us to keep an eye on the helper...

shri, Joanne O. and Hapi like this.

From my perspective:

I think it would be nice to have a little welcome pack to include these items. Maybe even some snacks like fruit, nuts, etc. (not sure what your meal arrangements are)

That sounds pretty excessive. What are you worried about - and are you honestly going to review the feed after work. As for night vision

I'd say no.

If you feel that way then just lock those items in a cupboard or cabinet or drawer. Don't you want her to clean that room anyway?

I was assuming you have young children hence the cameras....if no young children what are the cameras for? I understand some parents wanting to see their children during the day (and as someone else said, for families abroad to view) but not if only to keep track of the helper's movements.

Last edited by Fiona in HKG; 10-07-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added last comment about cameras
    Tripsplanner, Joanne O. and Hapi like this.

Thanks for advices all. l understand all this creating an atmosphere of trust, but its just from personal experiences of family and friends.
    my mother had a maid, her first one, and over about half a year, the maid was so brazen to actually go in her wallet and steal $100s of dollars. my mother had trusted her. the last time the maid stole, she nabbed $500 from my mother's wallet when she was showering. my mother had counted and knew it was her since the maid was the only person in the house, "doing" her duties. at first the maid denied it wholeheartedly, but admitted eventually.
    my friend had a maid who looked after his gran, things were stolen from the house as well.
    my brother had a maid, and she was a good one. so even though some say the vast majority are good, honest people, l am sure there is a minority, perhaps 5%, who will steal. isn't it true that they are over here to earn salaries that would make Drs in their home countries blush in embarrassment?
    does anyone else have experiences of maids here in HKG +ve / -ve?

thanks

Last edited by Tioga; 10-07-2014 at 05:14 PM.

if u wanna install camera then u shoulda done it before she started..

lockin the master bed door - OMG. didnt u check her references?!!

my 1st maid was horrible.. last year ... ( not my hire! ) the 2nd one we interview waaay more - and put more time into questioning

our 2nd maid is 3 months in and its a calm world of difference....

try an build a better relationship - cos those suggestions sound like a breeding ground for resentment

and yes get her some snacks - remember she works on good moral as well as healthy food..

there's a great book you should read. - hiring an managing domestic help - thank JGL for that..

Last edited by scrambler; 10-07-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Hiring a helper also included that u have to trust them. Besides they came from a less fortunate country than ours, they have families who will get hungry if they cant send them money, if they will do such crime of stealing, they will have a second thought i guess coz first they will lost their job,they can be put in jail, they spend a lot of money inorder to get the job a s domestic helper. They come in our place to earn money so they can support their family. My one word is DO TRUST THEM.
    Thanks and goodluck

Hapi likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Trust but verify.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    if u wanna install camera then u shoulda done it before she started..

lockin the master bed door - OMG. didnt u check her references?!!

my 1st maid was horrible.. last year ... ( not my hire! ) the 2nd one we interview waaay more - and put more time into questioning

our 2nd maid is 3 months in and its a calm world of difference....

try an build a better relationship - cos those suggestions sound like a breeding ground for resentment

and yes get her some snacks - remember she works on good moral as well as healthy food..

there's a great book you should read. - hiring an managing domestic help - thank JGL for that..
    where do we get the references? as the agency, "sunlight agency" said there are no references for maids. l thought looking at it was a sensible choice. how did you sack the 1st maid? as it is a 2yr contract right?
    it appears most had a good experience, l may not bother with installing cameras. we do have 2 toddlers though.
    thanks for info all

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast