Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is it hard for Indian to get a job in HK?

Is it hard for Indian to get a job in HK?

Hello ~ actually i m a local hk ~ but i would like to get some idea from here~~

as my bf is a indian who born and grow up in hk. He is a MBA graduate with 1-2 years accounting experience. He hv completed an adv dip. in finance and some papers of HKSI as well. However, it seems that he didnt get much chance to get into some other local companies /MNC/ bank for finance/ accounting /banking job, as he can only speak in english & french. He tried to apply many different kind of co. but still in vain. He didnt get a chance for interview as well.

as I am a local citizen and i m an accountant as well, but i don't have these kind of experience, as on my mind, a person with more qualification +exp. is more chance to get a job. But seems this cannot apply to my bf.

i really want to know what can i do to help him or give him some advice as he feels so depress on his career now..

Banned

I know a handfull of people in HK at the moment who work in finance, all expats, none can speak Cantonese. It might be simply down to his CV or the way he is applying for jobs.

How did he grow up in HK and not learn the local language? Surely it is almost essential to make friends etc from an early age?

Banned

There was a message here but no point now as the offending message has been removed.
    Last edited by Mothbox; 11-10-2009 at 11:46 PM.

I have read his CV and it is normal.
    I have think about the reason maybe his exp is not much.
    unlike those expat, most of them are oversea with exp ...etc.
    I also think about is it his job hunting skill has some problem, but i really no idea about this. Is there any different for non chinese person to get a job as compare with a local ?

he dunno chinese becus he is living in a "non chinese environment"~ he was studying in an international school, and his family are all speaking in english. that's why he didnt learn any chinese in his early age. and now, he can only speak some very simple chinese which is not enough for him to use in work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lsk_142
    I have read his CV and it is normal.
    I have think about the reason maybe his exp is not much.
    unlike those expat, most of them are oversea with exp ...etc.
    I also think about is it his job hunting skill has some problem, but i really no idea about this. Is there any different for non chinese person to get a job as compare with a local ?

he dunno chinese becus he is living in a "non chinese environment"~ he was studying in an international school, and his family are all speaking in english. that's why he didnt learn any chinese in his early age. and now, he can only speak some very simple chinese which is not enough for him to use in work.
    A more English dominated environment would be best then. I was under the impression that the reason most expats get jobs across here is because of their English language skills - this being an international language and English being that used across the US and Europe.

Banned

You could always try asking people around by Chunking Mansions. There are a number of Indian business around there and I'm sure at least one of them will know someone working in finance who may be able to give you some direction. It always helps to find others who are in or have been in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothbox
    A more English dominated environment would be best then. I was under the impression that the reason most expats get jobs across here is because of their English language skills - this being an international language and English being that used across the US and Europe.
    yes, that's what i think as well. I also think it should be a point for him to get a good job easily, as he speak in fluent english, many MNC would like to get these kind of staff for their business. so i am so confuse with what's the problem for him to get a better job. Is it just becus of the economic environment issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Mothbox
    You could always try asking people around by Chunking Mansions. There are a number of Indian business around there and I'm sure at least one of them will know someone working in finance who may be able to give you some direction. It always helps to find others who are in or have been in the same situation.
    yea, maybe it would be a good way to get some hins.
    Thanks Mothbox!=D

Admin

There are dozens of good recruiters who are of Indian origin who would give better advice than some random person in Chungking who is probably more keen to sell you a suit or copy watch. *weird recommendation*

Would recommend that you take a look at the recruitment agencies that deal with openings in the area and you're bound to find a couple of Indians who either work in the front office or on candidate research. Ask them what the gaps are that might prevent your friend from landing interviews. Plenty of Indians in banking / finance at all levels.
    Last edited by shri; 11-10-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    There are dozens of good recruiters who are of Indian origin who would give better advice than some random person in Chungking who is probably more keen to sell you a suit or copy watch. *weird recommendation*

Would recommend that you take a look at the recruitment agencies that deal with openings in the area and you're bound to find a couple of Indians who either work in the front office or on candidate research. Ask them what the gaps are that might prevent your friend from landing interviews. Plenty of Indians in banking / finance at all levels.
    THanks Shri,

recruitment agencies in the area? do u mean in Chungking? is there any agencies in there?
    Actually, I want to ask him to meet some recruitment agencies as well, is it work by finding job thur the agencies, i.e michael pages, Ambition...etc?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast