Recently I got stopped by immigration at custom, I was told I will have to leave within 30 days if I don’t get job.
Luckily I got an offer in time; however, I was shocked how low the salary is when I was told the amount they have in mind in person. I was told that it is the best they can offer, so I asked to have my work days reduced (it was ‘yes’), equity (since it was mentioned by them), and the percentage of the commission in the future, as well as the commitment of adjusting my pay after the end of fund raise campaign.
Except the work day, the owner just gave all sorts of reasons that the equity means nothing, the percentage of the commission is yet to be done, and they can’t make contractual commitment when they are still in the midst of fund raising activity. And they did put everything on contract, and a separate letter nothing their intentions in the future the next day.
They know I have the other offer and yet still offer me such low salary. I assume that it’s the combination of the fact they are short of money as well as knowing I am more interested in their firm. (as I expressed to them)
Now, I would like to see if they can raise the salary (since I didn’t really push on that before negotiating the work days and other things when discussed in person), before going into the details.
Should I just email him about the pay and wait for their reply before going into other part of the compensation plan? Or I should put in the mail saying ‘if you can’t adjust my pay, then I would like to see….this and that’.
Or what should I do instead? I will have interview with other company next week but I need to get hold of this offer first no matter what. And I have never received any offer as bad as this one..and yet I need it to stay in HK.. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
It will be highly appreciated..