am i nuts?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

am i nuts?

ive just bought a ticket to HK and quit my job with a bank who is fairly prominent in HK.

i hardly have any cash (about USD10,000) and plan to get there and give it two months, stay in a hostel. im young, fairly well experienced. sick of the US.

do i do it? freaking out.

I say go for it - you're more likely to regret the things you didn't do than the the things that you did. The only thing is that it might take a while to get a working visa once you do get a job, so you might want to have a backup plan, like teaching English or something to bide you over if/when your money runs out...

Best 'o luck!
    Heather

Daves

Hmmm where to start, Wouldn't go as far as saying nuts but you're a brave man and kudos for having the cojones to actually go and do it, Whilst you're still young and have experience then it will be easier.

Have you actually resigned from your current workplace? And is there any chance of a transfer etc?

yep agreed with Heather, always have a backup plan.

Go for it.

Even if you dont get a job, the experience in itself will be worth it - as for a backup plan - you need about $400 put aside for a cheapo flight from Macau to Singapore and then a month in Thailand...

hi, thankyou for your responses!

can i teach english without a visa though on a short term basis? the thought of having no income for a couple of months is a little daunting! do i need to be tesol qualified?

plus... no matter how dedicated you may be.. can you really look for jobs 24/7.. i think ill need something else to keep me occupied! thanks again, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hbrand:
    I say go for it - you're more likely to regret the things you didn't do than the the things that you did. The only thing is that it might take a while to get a working visa once you do get a job, so you might want to have a backup plan, like teaching English or something to bide you over if/when your money runs out...

Best 'o luck!
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by daves:
    can i teach english without a visa though on a short term basis? the thought of having no income for a couple of months is a little daunting! do i need to be tesol qualified?
    Yes you can
    No, its not legal
    Yes, they will throw you out if they catch you
    No, its likely they will
    Yes, as its illegal the pay will be low
    No, you dont need to be Tesol as its not legit anyway

Some nationalities are able to get working holiday visas which enable you to work for a couple of months at anyone place...

live life fully

ive just bought a ticket to HK and quit my job with a bank who is fairly prominent in HK.

i hardly have any cash (about USD10,000) and plan to get there and give it two months, stay in a hostel. im young, fairly well experienced. sick of the US.

Don't lose it. You have incentive. People with courage are often rewarded.

from working in a bank, "fairly well experienced", to teaching English?

You have nothing to lose, so come out and check it out. The start of the year is a good time to look for a job, especially if you have language skills.

kudos! go for it. if u never try, u'll never know. so live life to fullest.

Not sure how difficult to get a job without a working visa. may be worth considering private teaching, then you can still earn some money while you are waiting your working visa to be granted. (cash in hand)

many parents from HK would love to hire English native persons to teach English to their child. I guess a least $HK150 to $250 a hr (US$20 - $30 / hr).

Not sure where you should start adverting, anyone can help from here ? I know you can put notice at supermarkets.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast