Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Epsom Salts

Epsom Salts

Hello,
    Does anybody know where I can buy a large packet of Epsom Salts?

Thanks in advance

Yes! They sell it in the little stands in front of the entrance to City Super in Harbour City (opposite Pacific Coffee). Just ask the girls behind the counter there.

thanx

thanx for the great advice Daquiri,

I found they opened up a Health Quest there, and they sold 600g tubs of Epsom Salts. Brilliant!

I went to the Watsons in Aberdeen last week and asked the pharmacist for some. She said they were discontinued in Hong Kong. I wonder now if she actually understood what i was asking for. Her English was not great but she was a pharmacist.

I have more information to share.

The 600g tubs at City Super TST come from Germany and sell for about $80 each. The plastic tub is also not as environment friendly. I used to buy that but I discovered yesterday that you can buy epsom salts from chinese drug stores at $10 - $15 (depending on brand) for 500g packets (wrapped in paper bags) which have been packaged by local distributors. Now I can tell you that the cantonese speaking pharmacists do not understand the phrase "epsom salts" so you can try getting an interpreter or what I did was hunt their shelves high and low to find them. Then keep the wrapper so next time you can show the pharmacist. Alternatively if you only speak English, you can also buy them for $30 at SC Centre.

Epsom salt baths are essential for stress relief because "the body's magnesium level increases when soaking with magnesium sulfate which is necessary for serotonin, a mood-regulating neurotransmitter that may increase feelings of relaxation and well-being." - Magnesium sulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by sghkcn; 09-10-2008 at 02:22 PM.

it also has drawing properties and relieves muscle aches and pains and sunburn.

Quote Originally Posted by sghkcn
    I have more information to share.

The 600g tubs at City Super TST come from Germany and sell for about $80 each. The plastic tub is also not as environment friendly. I used to buy that but I discovered yesterday that you can buy epsom salts from chinese drug stores at $10 - $15 (depending on brand) for 500g packets (wrapped in paper bags) which have been packaged by local distributors. Now I can tell you that the cantonese speaking pharmacists do not understand the phrase "epsom salts" so you can try getting an interpreter or what I did was hunt their shelves high and low to find them. Then keep the wrapper so next time you can show the pharmacist. Alternatively if you only speak English, you can also buy them for $30 at SC Centre.

Epsom salt baths are essential for stress relief because "the body's magnesium level increases when soaking with magnesium sulfate which is necessary for serotonin, a mood-regulating neurotransmitter that may increase feelings of relaxation and well-being." - Magnesium sulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I went looking for Epsom Salts today. Watson's and Mannings pharmacies didn't have it.

Likewise, found it in a Chinese pharmacy near the old Western Market (red color building) in Sheung Wan. $35 for a pound in a paper bag - must be inflation. In health food stores, it's about double so this was a good price.

In Cantonese, it is called 'yook yim'. 'Yim' being salt.

I threw out all the Epsom salt I had bought beginning of the year recently, but as far as I know it was something like $13 per pound/paper bag. Definitely not $35. I used a local pharmacy in a fancy mall in the NT, they had to order it but it only took a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Laksa Girl
    I went looking for Epsom Salts today. Watson's and Mannings pharmacies didn't have it.

Likewise, found it in a Chinese pharmacy near the old Western Market (red color building) in Sheung Wan. $35 for a pound in a paper bag - must be inflation. In health food stores, it's about double so this was a good price.

In Cantonese, it is called 'yook yim'. 'Yim' being salt.
    yook is likely to be æµ´, which is "bath". So with that word, you may be purchasing any of the different types of bathing salt out there. The Japanese is big on this bathing salt thing, there are way too many types.

In case anybody has the same need, Epsom Salts is written as 瀉鹽 in Chinese. In Cantonese it sounds like "sear yim "-- sear is as in bear, not as in Sears.

As you know, Cantonese is a tonal language. So the pitch of the second sound "yim" is lower than the first one.

The Watsons opposite the Tin Hau MTR exit on Kings Road either has it in stock or can order for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast