Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

mobile phone - any recommendations?

mobile phone - any recommendations?

I need to replace my out-dated mobile phone. I hate to walk into sales office and be introduced to so many choices and I am not a gadget person and have poor understanding of how such things work, difficulty in understanding gadget language. I don't need an iphone. Looking for basic things like what a phone does, sms, roaming necessary, take photos (quality need not be top of the class), currently do not use the web via phone but would like to do so in future. Prefer something which is android run but open to suggestions. Budget between HKD2k to 3,500. Currently using PCCW service but service plan not ending soon. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Lots of options with your criteria and budget.

You should decide if you want traditional 0-9 keypad, QWERTY keyboard or touch screen. That will focus your search to a more manageable number of phones.

You might try this phone finder to narrow the candidates.

This is another source for reviews and advice Cnet.com
    Retired likes this.

maybe this phone fits ur needs, best of both worlds, qwerty keyboard and android, but remember this model may be supersede by newer model in a month time with a larger ver xperia pro

around HK$3000 possibly cheaper cos it will be superseded, though screen is slightly small

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini pro - Full phone specifications

xperia pro ( bigger screen) should be around HK$35000

Sony Ericsson XPERIA Pro - Full phone specifications

or try lg, motorola, samsung counterparts
    Retired likes this.

xperia x10 mini pro apparently will be supersede with it's sucessor

xperia duo

Sony Ericsson Xperia Duo Specifications, Images and Details

i got this in my email last night Mobile phones & accessories - We make HTC Incredible S easier to use

anyone use this phone, is it good. I am currently using a Blackberry (Work) and Samsung Galaxy (personal), my contract is also about to expire soon so I might as well get a free phone when i sign a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    i got this in my email last night Mobile phones & accessories - We make HTC Incredible S easier to use

anyone use this phone, is it good. I am currently using a Blackberry (Work) and Samsung Galaxy (personal), my contract is also about to expire soon so I might as well get a free phone when i sign a new contract.
    Been looking at the Incredible S also so I'll give a free bump to this!

I believe it has Android 2.2, will it get upgrades to later versions?

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia

this phone retails at HK$4k - 4.5k, i think it's out side the op budget

Thanks, all. Am looking for a touchscreen. I checked out Sony Ericsson Xperia and Samsung Galaxy. PCCW currently offers Web & tall tariff package for 24 months with free Samsung or Sony Xperia. The monthly fee is either
    1. $299 with monthly rebate $160. Data usage is 500MB, vc minutes 1,800, sms unlimited, mms 200. This means my basic cost is $3,336.
    2. $399 with monthly rebate $232. Data usage is unlimited, vc minutes 1,800, sms unlimited, mms 300. Basic cost is $4,008.

I don't expect to be using web a lot as I usually go online at home. If I do use web via mobile, will only do so in free wifi hotspots and just to quickly check market data and emails. Is 500 MB sufficient? PCCW says that they will cancel my current package (expiring April 2010) at no charges when I change over to new plan. What else should I be aware of in terms of such plans? The package includes mms but I don't know what's that. Anyone can help?

pin

First thing, stay away from PCCW!!! I suggest you move to either smartone or 3HK. Both offer decent plans for someone who doesn't use their phone for internet that often. My mistress has an iphone, but doesn't use 3g that much, so she got the cheapest plan below:

three.com.hk 3G 香港

For the first six months you get unlimited data, and because she ported her number over she gets an additional 200MB a month for the first year. You are only tied in for 1 year.

I should add, in HK, buying the phone separately from a plan normally works out cheaper over the length of the contract.
    Last edited by pin; 30-03-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Banned

I have a 500MB package and don't even begin to use it. Like you, I do email, quick peek on the web if I need something, banking, maps if I get lost. When my contract expires, I'll take the lowest possible amount of data...
    Retired likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast