Buying kitchen knives in Hong Kong

Buying kitchen knives in Hong Kong

Maybe a little off topic, but any advice on choosing a good quality kitchen knife - the larger variety - I think they are called a chef's/cook's knife?

I've seen so called decent ones (in Wing On) priced from around $200 to more than a $1K. How do I know what to go for?

Banned

You're probably safe with any of the top brands not sure what brands wingon has in stock. Google to check.
    I prefer knives with the blade and handle as one piece but there are a lot of goods ones that aren't that kind.

side: it's your thread how can it be off topic?

It was posted in another thread and the mods moved it.

Today some fair at Tsing Yi Maritime Square (MTR). 15 mins from HK station... german brand I believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304991266.923552.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	26405  Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304991305.565231.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	26409 

There are a lot of things to consider when buying a knife of any kind. Carbon steel or stainless? If you're going with stainless, what kind of stainless do you want? Carbon steel requires more care, but it is way easier to sharpen/hone and restore the edge on. Stainless knives are a little more durable as far as corrosion resistance goes, but they're tougher to get and keep sharp. There's also carbon steel damascus and stainless damascus to consider.

Now, Japanese and German knives as a general rule are ground differently. Do you want a chisel edge (ground on one side) or a double beveled knife? You could go with a V-grind, flat grind or convex grind.

Then you should consider full-tang vs. partial tang and see how the knife actually feels in your hand. Ergonomics and balance matter. My favorite knives by far are carbon steel and they were hand forged from carbon spring steel. I keep them sharp enough to shave arm hair off and it doesn't take much to get them there and keep them there.
    Last edited by jayinhongkong; 10-05-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Banned

I prefer Wustof over Henckels for kitchen knives, also agree with what Jay says, make sure that its a full tang versus partial, avoid the ceramic knives. They are great for a few weeks and then they turn to crap and you cant sharpen them.

I bought my 10 inch Chef's knife, santoku, cleaver (all on sale) and sharpening stone at Sogo, in Causeway bay. The birds beak knife, boning knife, and knife case (Global) were bought at Pan-Handler, in Central. I also ordered a Misono UX 10 Chef's knife (should have gotten the 10 inch knife, instead of the 8 inch one)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06062009127.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	359.2 KB 
ID:	26429  Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Misono UX10 Chef Knife.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	26433