Bring furniture withe me or buy in HK?

Closed Thread

Bring furniture withe me or buy in HK?

Hi,

I'll be moving to HK in October. My company is providing shipping for me and I'm wondering whether it's better and cheaper to bring my own furniture or buy in HK?

I don't actually have any furniture - recently divorced and gave it all to my ex. I have no idea what prices and styles are available in HK.

My preference is for modern, simple style of furniture, ie clean cut leather sofa's and wooden beds - the kind of stuff you get in Argos and (god forbid) Ikea. Budget is limited to say 200GB for bed (ex mattress) and 500GBP for leather sofa etc.

Can somebosy please tell me how prices compare for Ikea HK and Ikea LN and whether the range is similar - just to get an idea of what's out there?

Many Thanks

Coming from the UK you will realise that the space you will be living in HK will be a lot smaller. Its quite likely that your UK furniture will not even fit into the apartment here.

My advise is that you bring the minimum necessary stuff like your bed etc and leave the big stuff there. Assuming you are coming on an expat deal, the company will pay for storage in the UK.

I moved from the UK and even though I am in a large apt, we found that a couple of items couldn't fit into the lift !!!

Ikea here is far cheaper than the UK and yes, you do get the full range. Secondly, you can get custom made authentic Chinese furniture made here quite cheaply.

2nd floor (although it's billed as 3rd) in Jordan walkup

Come to Lamma, there's generally something from Ikea left littering the path every ten yards.

Although you're not allowed to take it there and then, you have to fill out a little scrap of paper with a tiny brown pencil and then the sweeper goes to see if they've got a similarly dog-piss-stained one out behind the bins.

Hi, I woudl say don't bring furniture to HK. You will find every style of furniture under the sun in HK or Shenzhen at any budget range. If you want to have an idea on the IKea price, check out this website:http://www.ikea.com.hk/main.html
    Yes...your furniture might not fit in HK lift nor the new home!!!

I am local.
    and i definitely agree taht u should not bring any furniture, coz u will find that it is better to buy in HK and u will see all people live in small flat in HK ........

Thx all - guess I'll be doing my shopping in HK then.

If you shop for furniture in HK, I would suggest checking out Muji - a Japanese store selling very zen-type items. Muji is showcased in the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) store in New York and their stuff cost a fortune there - I think they are opening their first U.S. store in NYC soho this year. Anyways, there are a few of them in HK and they have a surprisingly affordable (compared to what I saw at MOMA) selection of beds / desks and other pieces... check them out! www.muji.com.hk (btw it's become our fave store in HK!!) :-))