Like Tree2Likes

Fabrics by the bolt

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the map and the additional tips! I've heard good things about Shenzen--though mainly about massage!--so will head there one day (currently very pregnant so would prefer not to travel too far from home). How is it for english speakers? Do the vendors expect you to bargain as well? I'm hopeless at bargaining...

The Hawkers Bazaar sounds like it's worth looking at as well... and I will definitely blacklist the Western Markets! Sounds like a scary place.

LuWo is barely "too far from home". It involves sitting on the MTR for about 30mins from Hung Hom, walking across the border (with a few queues) and then walking into a large shopping centre adjacent to the border control building. The fabric market is on the top floor. I found the ladies there to be very nice, speak enough English to talk about fabric and how much I wanted, you didn't have to haggle (you'll pay a little more, but they don't start at 3x the price for example). So the whole journey from Central would only be a few hours - an odd concept for pretty much a trip into another country! When I went there I only went to buy clothes and was in Shenzhen for maybe 2 hours in total (that included lunch).

Just that if you go to Lowu and you don't already have a mainland visa, remember that you will have to add that to the cost of your shopping trip.
    I didn't know if you were talking about buying multiple bolts for commercial use or just buying stacks for home decorating or whatever: if the latter, then I would agree with the suggestion to head down the Prince Edward end of Ki Lung St. There is a wide variety there, but I don't know how likely it would be to be able to get more than one bolt of any given fabric.

trust me (or rather my pregnant wife)...20 mins is too far when you're very pregnant, esp on the train to dirtland, where it would be VERY doubtful that you would be 'allowed' to sit, First Class or otherwise...but that's a whole other thread isn't it. factor in holiday travelers this time of year, probability that OP would need a visa, and SSP is a no-brainer...

not to mention the amount of smoke in the commercial centre.

i can ONLY go there when they open in the morning, by about 3pm the place is so smoky, my eyes start to burn.

Why Lowu? 45 mins standing from Hung Hom and even if your pregnant or one legged you'll struggle to get a seat unless you go first class both ways which costs double. Can take 20 mins to an hour to cross the border and then fart about haggling for cheap crap that cost the same in RMB than some decent stuff in HK!

The days of the cheap deal in Lowu are well over. Great tourist trap though. Oh and people still get suckered into paying for massages from FotF girls when again its cheaper in HK for someone who knows what they're doing. It's good business!

There is great blog - Sewing Material in Hong Kong

The fabric Bazaar in SSP has plenty of choice but the layout means patience is a must. Nearby Ki Lung street street market there are a couple of fabric shops with wide selection. One of the shops even has a facebook page!

Western Market is not really good value. So probably in order of ease / variety of fabric

1) Ki Lung Street (including 2 shops)
    2) SSP Hawkers Bazaar
    3) Western market

If you're after professional suiting or shirting there are the wholesalers in TST and Central but a lot more per yard and you may need to set-up an account.

I just visited the hawkers bazaar in ssp and it's amazing! So much fabric after a diet of little swatches. Thank you for the recommendations-I would never have gone in if not for your help.

I can recommend our shop: Fabric - kawaii shop modeS4u
    We do have lots of fabrics from the USA (Michael Miller, Robert Kaufman, Riley Blake) and Japan (Kokka, echino, Cosmo) and many others. All fabrics are high quality fabrics.
    We don't have a shop though, so you need to order online. If you are familiar with those manufacturers you will know how the fabric feels anyway.

Passed a shop today Mee Tak in Sheung Wan which looks like it does this:

sheung wan - Google Maps