Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Second Hand Luxury watches

Second Hand Luxury watches

Hi, has anyone had experience buying from those second hand shops in TST, or just second hand luxury watches in general? Looking for Omegas, IWC, etc.

I wish it was easier to find bargains like in the UK and US... Always feel like I'm about to get conned when I walk into the shops here in HK.

Anyone got any advice? Thanks.

Yes, I have had a successful purchase from Noble in Mong Kok. There are many reliable second-hand dealers in HK. You might have a look at www.kenwatches.com and Pak Lee Jewellers on Middle Rd.

It's a good idea to make yourself familar with the brands/models you are considering and know what to look for in terms of counterfeiting or after-market parts. You can research your target items on forums like www.watchuseek.com and www.rolexforums.com
    Last edited by TigerSun; 19-02-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Thanks a lot, I saw a few recommendations for kenwatches, i will go check it out. Problem with HK and it's AD are mainland tourists are making AD's less likely to give good discounts...

I'm already trolling watchuseek and rolexforums for good deals

Given how good many of the fakes can be, I wouldn't risk it, personally.

jgl

I'm with DG on this. At a miniumum, unless you are very confident in inspecting watch internals and know what models have what movements, there is no way I'd recommend buying a second hand watch here. The likelihood of a non-expert getting conned are way to high. I'd suggest just getting a good fake instead

I know just about a specific niche of watches (1960-1975 Omega Seamasters/Constellations/DeVilles based on the 5xx movements) to be able to guess at the authenticity of such a watch. There's no way I'd be willing to walk into a secondhand store in Hong Kong and feel confident in buying anything more modern, higher value, and more likely a target of counterfeiters.
    huja, dear giant and Satay Sue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl

I know just about a specific niche of watches (1960-1975 Omega Seamasters/Constellations/DeVilles based on the 5xx movements) to be able to guess at the authenticity of such a watch. There's no way I'd be willing to walk into a secondhand store in Hong Kong and feel confident in buying anything more modern, higher value, and more likely a target of counterfeiters.
    I salute your taste . . . those Omegas with the 5xx calibre movements are fantastic and were a bargain when I was collecting 15 years ago. I still have a couple of pie-pan Connies from that vintage.

c. 551 = second hand
    c. 561 = second hand and date
    c. 564 = second hand and quick date

This is worth a read . . . a blogger who really knows is Omegas from the 50's-60's dissects an ebay ad to reveal it is fake or partially fake.
    Last edited by huja; 24-02-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

I certainly agree that if you are unable to distinguish a fake from the real thing, you probably shouldn't buy 2nd hand. If you have no knowledge of something, be it a watch, a warhol painting, or a hot security - it would be advisable to consult someone who does know first.

On the other hand, if you are like most watch aficionados (who bother to self-educate) and can spot a fake a mile away, it would be silly to ignore what is probably the largest 2nd hand luxury watch marketplace in the world.

Further, there are at least 10 major second hand dealers in HK who are long-established businesses and are intelligent enough to not commit commercial suicide by selling fakes. HK is a popular shopping destination for aficionados on the big fan sites like the rolexforum.

As to the advice to buy a fake - I guess it depends on who you are trying to impress. It might impress the shopgirls, but as a boss, I'd much rather hire someone sporting a Casio, then someone flashing a Folex.
    Last edited by TigerSun; 24-02-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Cwbguy and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    As to the advice to buy a fake - I guess it depends on who you are trying to impress. It might impress the shopgirls, but as a boss, I'd much rather hire someone sporting a Casio, then someone flashing a Folex.
    I find it a bit disconcerting when I see some guys sporting watches that cost as much as a small car. Wonder if they are just plain vulgar, insecure or suffering from little willy syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy
    I find it a bit disconcerting when I see some guys sporting watches that cost as much as a small car. Wonder if they are just plain vulgar, insecure or suffering from little willy syndrome.
    I have a Rolex, its simple, steel - no gold, diamonds or flash.
    You might consider me vulgar, but the watch isn't.
    Yes, I do suffer from 'little willy syndrome' mainly because of all the big dicks out there.
    josephc likes this.

Some people spend their money on things to make them feel good about themselves.

Some people spend their money on things to make others feel bad about themselves.

Some people take issue with how others their spend their money.

Some people have no money to spend.
    TigerSun, Skyhook, jgl and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast