Like Tree4Likes

Buying from Amazon US... shipping to HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Sandeepsg - you are aware of the voltage difference between HK & the US? YOu won't be able to use anything here without a transformer. Brought myself a Senseo coffee machine from there, thought our lab building had 110V, turned out the outlets were only decoration. Now I got a 20kg transformer under my desk who wakes up everyone in the office whenever I need caffeine...

Carang - Boardgames and DVDs are available too, though the latter is only worth it if they have a very special discount...
    Sorry for the bump but I found this thread when searching for ebay tips.

Anyways, does anyone know if a monitor is usable here in HK if I simply swap out the AC power cable with one purchased locally?

I'm looking to buy a large LCD from ebay as the market for 30" is practically non-existent the price different is huge.

As far as onenow goes, do not use them. I just tried shipping via them and it is turning into a nightmare. My credit cards are not processing on their web site, so my shipments are stuck at their warehouse. And their live chat is next to useless and cannot provide solutions. In principle it sounds like a great idea; too bad their execution is flawed at best, veering more toward incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by wayland:
    Sorry for the bump but I found this thread when searching for ebay tips.

Anyways, does anyone know if a monitor is usable here in HK if I simply swap out the AC power cable with one purchased locally?

I'm looking to buy a large LCD from ebay as the market for 30" is practically non-existent the price different is huge.
    If you change the power plug of a US LCD and try to use it here, you will most likely fry either the power supply or the LCD. Before you buy, go to the manufacturers website and check the technical details, if it says something like 100-250V it is ok, if it says 115V or the like only, you'll only toast it.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    If you change the power plug of a US LCD and try to use it here, you will most likely fry either the power supply or the LCD. Before you buy, go to the manufacturers website and check the technical details, if it says something like 100-250V it is ok, if it says 115V or the like only, you'll only toast it.
    So this should be ok?

AC input voltage / frequency / current 100 to 240 VAC / 50Hz/60 Hz + 3 Hz / 1.6A (Max.)
    Inrush current 120V:30A (Max.) at 0oc 240V:60A (Max.) at 0oc
    Now if I could only find a way to get it to HK.

MyUs, OneNow: reviews/other providers?

Coming back to the original topic:
    Has anyone used MyUS or OneNow or other providers recently (e.g., comGateway)?
    I am esp. keen on a provider with cheaper shipping options but with a longer delivery time (no need for 5 days delivery if I can save money).

I have used Borderlinx in the past (US to Singapore) and was very happy with it. But still looking for a cheaper option with longer shipping times.

Thanks

Just realized that comGateway and oneNOW seem to have merged, one website now. The website looks more reputable than myUS.

It still looks like the design onenow had before; please read my review of them above.

I did, thanks for the review. But your last experience was around 18 months ago and service levels can change (esp. after a merger). Hence would be good to get some more recent info.

Quote Originally Posted by SalseroHK:
    The website looks more reputable than myUS.

it is still meaningless

SalseroHK:
    I've been using onenow.com for the last year and it's always been fine. I've done about 4 shipments, with the last one in Feb 2010. The first time I used it, the first credit card I used didn't work because they had not synchronized it with my bank's security verification procedure so I had to use my husband's card. But they sorted that out and now it's fine. The packages arrive in good condition and very quickly (about 3 business days after I give them the order to ship). By the way, the shipping cost is not negligible. So it really only makes sense for things you can't get here. Also, if you do a lot of buying on Amazon, getting free shipping through Amazon Prime is helpful to cut down the cost.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast