GeoExpat.Com Hong Kong Forum Hong Kong Forums Living in Hong Kong Shopping Forum where can I buy a 110v to 220v power converter?
+ [Reply]
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

where can I buy a 110v to 220v power converter?

where can I buy a 110v to 220v power converter?

so that I can use electronics brought from US
    I live in Shatin
    Thanks

Likes Recd
    Likes Given
    Great question. I have just started looking for one as well. I was going to take a look around Sham Shui Po,as an initial thought.

you can try the fortress or broadway in new town plaza. not sure if they have it but worth a try

Likes Recd
    Likes Given
    Just to be clear, what you need is a 220V to 110V converter, not the other way round.

Likes Recd
    Likes Given
    depending on the current, 240v to 120v step up transformer can range from HK$40 for small wattage version ( eg, portable mp3 player/portable video game adaptor) to HK$150 for larger wattage (( video game console such as ps2) version, for really heavy duty, they can cost up to HK$400 plus. ap liu st in sham shui po is the best place.

i don't think fotress, broadway will sell you these transformers as they supply official products rated at 240v

Likes Recd
    Likes Given
    You really, really DON'T want a step up transformer. What you need is a step DOWN transformer. The transformer needs to reduce the 220V coming out of the wall to the 110V that the device needs.

(Yes, in the simplest case that simply means taking the same transformer and connecting it the other way round, but not all power converters are reversible.)

Likes Recd
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM View Post
    You really, really DON'T want a step up transformer. What you need is a step DOWN transformer. The transformer needs to reduce the 220V coming out of the wall to the 110V that the device needs.

(Yes, in the simplest case that simply means taking the same transformer and connecting it the other way round, but not all power converters are reversible.)
    sorry, pdlm, is correct, i have only just woke up, it's a step down converter/transformer

Likes Recd
    Likes Given
    also golden arcade in sham shui po will have them as they sell imported video games consoles

You can also go to one of those mom-and-pop electronics/DIY shops (the ones that sell random lights, tools, etc) if there's any near you. That's where I got my 1000W converter. It was much more convenient than going to an actual shopping centre type place.

Likes Recd
    Likes Given
    Quote Originally Posted by Engill View Post
    You can also go to one of those mom-and-pop electronics/DIY shops (the ones that sell random lights, tools, etc) if there's any near you. That's where I got my 1000W converter. It was much more convenient than going to an actual shopping centre type place.
    I got mine in a similar place too, these type of shops are often gold mines but it helps if they speak English or you Chinese as they might have it hidden in some dark dusty corner.

+ [Reply]
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO