Buying Jade

Closed Thread

Buying Jade

I'm thinking about buying jade bracelets as Christmas presents as jade's a bit different to the usual scarves, bags, earrings, etc.

I want to get an idea on prices. Could someone give me a price range for a grade A, bright, medium-translucent jadeite bracelet? I'm aware that the upper end of the price range is probably unlimited, but it would be nice to know if an attractive and genuine bracelet is within my means.

The locations of any recommended dealers would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would deal with the Jade importers in Shenzhen would import their goods from Burma. I bought a jade bangle in Shenzhen for a fraction of what I would of paid in HK. The people at Chow Tai Fook had a Jade Bangle for 18 Thousand, I bought a similar A Grade Bangle for 320RMB.

For some strange reason, HK seems like a rip off for certain things. PM me if you want the name and address of that Jade seller. She speaks English, Canto, and Mandarin.

cheers

You know the saying, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

I'm not saying there aren't over-priced things for sale in Hong Kong, or deals in Shenzhen, but there are also a lot more fakes in Shenzhen. Unless you really know how to grade your Burmese jade, (and can tell the difference between jade and glass!), you had better be careful who you are buying from. It's highly unlikely that the 320 RMB jade bracelet was of the same quality as the 18,000 jade bracelet in Hong Kong.

Why do you think mainland tourists buy so much jewelry in Hong Kong?

I don't know Burmese jade myself, but I do know a small jewelry shop in Central, off the main road, that specializes in knowing their jade, from nephrite to jadeite, and is extremely trustworthy. PM me if you want their address/number.

If you just want an idea of price range, first visit the big jewelry chain stores.

Not that I am saying you are wrong, but I buy Jade for the Jewelry stores back in the states. The place I was referring to does not sell neophrite only Jadeite.

I visited their cave where the raw blocks are mined and the factory where the stones are cut and polished.

Initially I didnt trust "China" suppliers, so I tested each shipment for mohs, clarity, and chemical treatment. After a few large shipments without any problems, I learnt that I could trust this supplier.

The retail margins on Jade are very very high, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000% markup. About 95% of the chain stores in HK source from China due to its close proximity to Burma, the remainder source directly from Burma and cut their own stones. But those are custom made pieces that people special order and not the ones you see in the showcases.

If you want, I can bring you to SZ with some tools to show you the difference between real and fake jade.

As for the mainlanders coming to HK to buy Jewelry, the current exchange rate favors their currency and due to the high amount of tax/tariff on precious metals, computer equipment, electronics, furs, imported name brand goods like Rolex, Omega, etc its cheaper for them to spend RMB in HK to buy Jewelry.

Thanks to you both. How about the shops on Canton Road, Jordan (AKA "Jade Street")? Any experience with them?

Whoa, okay shadows - you're the expert, not me!

But don't you think it is unwise to give the advice of going to a Shenzhen dealer if the buyer is NOT an expert? And as a dealer, wouldn't you have gotten the price you got because you are not a retail buyer from off the streets?

As for Sigga, if you mean the jade market in Jordan, that's about as dangerous as Shenzhen. There are lots of fake jade made from glass, and jadeite that has been dyed, or otherwise chemically treated. There may be some real stuff there, as well, I don't know.

I dont deal with the crooks in Jordan. For Jade go directly to the source for bargains, or buy only the best. Price does not reflect quality, especially in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    Thanks to you both. How about the shops on Canton Road, Jordan (AKA "Jade Street")? Any experience with them?

I admit that I did receive better pricing due to bulk/quantity discounts, but the numbers were not that much different than what a normal person would of paid for say a bangle.

If one is set with Hong Kong, then I can only suggest going to the large rip off chains like CTF and what not. I dont recommend Jordan.

In regards to buying Jade in SZ, to prevent from being ripped off, either bring someone you know who knows jade or go to a shop that someone recommends that they have purchased from before.

Quote Originally Posted by renHK:
    Whoa, okay shadows - you're the expert, not me!

But don't you think it is unwise to give the advice of going to a Shenzhen dealer if the buyer is NOT an expert? And as a dealer, wouldn't you have gotten the price you got because you are not a retail buyer from off the streets?

As for Sigga, if you mean the jade market in Jordan, that's about as dangerous as Shenzhen. There are lots of fake jade made from glass, and jadeite that has been dyed, or otherwise chemically treated. There may be some real stuff there, as well, I don't know.

Shadows, where is the address of the shop you mentioned in SZ ?