Cold & miserable - heating a village house

Closed Thread

Cold & miserable - heating a village house

Can anyone recommend a really good heater that can reliably heat large areas? I have a Whirlpool oil heater (7 fins) and two Innotec ceramic heaters but they don't seem to warm my house up well at all. Adding to the problem is that my house is rather open plan hence very large rooms.

Is there anyone out there that has open plan space yet has found the secret to a warm and toasty house in the winter?

Sorry the oil heaters are the best we have found. Don't worry it does not last long (normally).

Our village house house is warm as toast . Why ?

Double glazed windows and a 2.5 hp reverse cycle ( Inverter ) Mitsubishi split system in the main living area.

Best thing we ever did, after always saying we'll get heating next year, or saying "HK is only cold a few months"... Bugger that lol It's very pleasant coming to a warm home now, and massively cheaper to run than an oil heater/ piddly electric fan heater. if you understand C O P energy ratio's.

Install a correct sized reverse cycle heat pump split system, inverter type preferably, be warm as toast and be a lot more energy efficient... Your upfront cost will be higher, but if you knock off $1000 off your electricity bill during winter, and factor in being comfortable, the initial investment cost will pay itself off long term and more than worth it.

Last edited by Skyhook; 19-11-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Our A/C unit's remote makes claims to do reverse cycle heating.

But it doesn't.

Disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Double glazed windows and a 2.5 hp reverse cycle ( Inverter ) Mitsubishi split system in the main living area.

Thanks. So that is a reversible air con unit, is that right? Just looked it up. But much stronger heating than many that claim to be....?

I don't know about the stronger heating term, but as far as coefficiency of performance is concerned, reverse cycle / heat pump is very energy efficient. It's also perfectly suited to Hong Kongs climatic design condition, as winter temps rarely get below 5 degrees C.

Here is a very simplified heating comparison document, that lists the various heat/fuel types, with pro's and cons and expected running cost differences. > EnergyHeatingChart.pdf

Hope that helps a little.

Brands I would recommend that offer inverter equipped, reverse cycle ( Heat Pump ) split systems are:

Daikin
    Mitsubishi
    Panasonic

And just to clarify, yes a Reverse cycle A/C heats and cools, using the refrigeration/heat transfer principal. Put your hand on the back of your refrigerator in your kitchen, you will feel heat. If you reversed the polarity of your refrigerators compressor, you would heat the inside of the cabinet, and the back would become cold.. Keeping this as layman termed as possible...
    Last edited by Skyhook; 19-11-2009 at 05:21 PM.