Like Tree4Likes

Good deal. Need advice

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good deal. Need advice

Currently I am living in Dubai. I heard that the prices for many items in Hong Kong (like Apple computers for example) are much cheaper then in the other countries. So I have an intention to start my little business of exporting goods. I am not rich, so i am planning to start with an item which does not requite big investments. Also for now I do not want to make any shipments, just carry the goods in my suitcase.
    1. Which items are good to buy in Hong Kong?
    2. Are there any duty taxes for electronic items and how much?
    3. In general, which South Asian countries are good for shopping. ( I have been in a few countries there and i know that Thailand is getting more expensive and Indonesia is good for clothes...)

i will be able to visit Hong Kong twice a month. Also hope to bring something from Dubai for sale in Hong Kong.

Any advice will be appreciated.

When I lived in Japan, I used to buy electronics in Akihabara and then sell on ebay to people in Australia, UK, and other countries where these things are more expensive or not available. Also some things that came out in Japan a month or two before other countries were hot and I used to make a fortune on.

I dont know why you would want to carry in your suitcase. I just went to the post office and sent via EMS. It is easy, cheap, fast delivery, provide the buyer with tracking number, and I always got positive feedback.

I could probably do in HK now too, but Im too busy with my real job these days to mess around with this.

Lat likes this.

I remember in Akihabara the cheaper goods they sold were in Japanese or Japanese standard. I just have chance to travel to Hong Kong very cheap. Delivery however would take time. But I will think about what you said of course.
    Thank you.

Last edited by Lat; 19-02-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:

I could probably do in HK now too, but Im too busy with my real job these days to mess around with this.
    Out of curiosity, what kind of electronics in HK could be hot items overseas?

you thinking of selling too eh drunken master?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    Out of curiosity, what kind of electronics in HK could be hot items overseas?
    Camera and camera accessories are very cheap in HK compare to other markets
    Lat likes this.

Yes probably cameras. Maybe phones as well. I think HK is quite unique where all the phones are unlocked. Basically things that are not too heavy so that the shipping charges are kept to a minimum (or fit more in your suitcase).

Last edited by bdw; 20-02-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    Lat likes this.

So what about customs duties? Do I pay it for carring say 4 iphones? or 1 laptop in the box? how much will it be?

Last edited by Lat; 20-02-2010 at 08:58 PM.

There are no customs duties in Hong Kong on electronics.

Lat likes this.

Customs duties are not payable when you leave HK, but may be payable in the country you arrive in. It depends on their laws.

For example, in Australia, you are allowed to bring in electronics and other items below a certain amount (it was $400 a few years ago when I was heavily involved in this).

When I sold something and went to the post office to ship it, you have to fill out a declaration form. I just declared the item under $400 and then Aus customs always let it through. I never had any problems. Most of the time, the item really was less than $400.

If you are buying heaps of stuff and putting it in a suitcase, this is where you might have troubles. Thats why I always shipped stuff one by one and never had any problems.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast