Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Where to a buy a smoke alarm/detector?

i stopped in at Safety Fire Equip over lunch, as its near my office and they only have smoke alarms, none with carbon monoxide sensors. which, given that pretty much every flat in this town has gas to heat the water and gas to cook with is pretty stupid

well i can confirm that B&Q had both plain smoke

detectors and carbon monoxide detectors - we don't have gas so I went for a plain one for $218 - still more expensive than back home but better than the $700 the little store in Mongkok was asking!
    Thanks for the help - Megabox was awesome, will certainly be returning.....

Banned

Hong Kong people don't need such things... The homes are too small, by the time they can smell it or see it they are getting burnt... For people with big homes, they have maids.. so it's pratically useless here

Quote Originally Posted by Judy_inHK
    Hong Kong people don't need such things... The homes are too small, by the time they can smell it or see it they are getting burnt... For people with big homes, they have maids.. so it's pratically useless here
    What utter, utter rubbish. The point of a smoke detector is that it wakes you up when you are asleep and the smoke (which you do NOT smell while asleep) sets of the alarm before the fire is too bad to allow escape. Of course they are needed here. Just look at the tragedy in Monkok a few months ago to see how bad a fire can be here if the residents have no warning and cannot get out!

Judy are you really that dense? And you don't smell carbon monoxide, thats why its so deadly, you just drift off to sleep and suffocate.

My god. Does your mommy know you're using the computer?

Banned

Bringing your old life style in a different part of the world

When i studied in Canada yes my house had all those alarms, Fire alarm, Secuirty alarm, motion dectors, Carbon Monoxide dectors etc..

But in Hong Kong we really don't need those, becareful with your adapters and plugs, try to use less of those adapters and plug one plug in one socket and get matience for all appliances and don't use appliances that are too old. Get regular check up for everything and shut of the main swich for applainces not needed when sleeping. If it was really that important in Hong Kong then buying these alarm dectors and carbon monoxide dectors will be easy and you will not need a thread asking for help.

Banned

Pratically none

Pratically there is very little cases of Carbon monoxide poisoning in Hong Kong expect for on purpose Carbon monoxide poisoning for sudicide.

Yes my mommy does know i am using the computer, she is looking at me from heavn

Quote Originally Posted by sylvesterjay
    Judy are you really that dense? And you don't smell carbon monoxide, thats why its so deadly, you just drift off to sleep and suffocate.

My god. Does your mommy know you're using the computer?
    Last edited by Judy_inHK; 11-12-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling edit

as with everything in China/Hong Kong, so much of this stuff is made across the border, but none of it is for sale here or in China.

also, if you do find it, it is more expensive than if you bought it online or at Cosco in the US.

strange....

anyone else have any luck finding them?

SMOKE DETECORS.

As is usual, so much of the stuff made a few hundred kms north of here in china, but is hard to find in either HONG KONG or China retail........

when you do find it, it costs much more than Costco in the US....

so far, I have heard of the following possibilities:

1) Wing On Department Store
    2) Safety Fire Equipment Store (Wanchai)
    3) Fyrnetics HK (Kwai Chung)
    4) Bumps to Babes

Anyone able to confirm that these places might have one? Anyone know the prices?

I brought 2 smoke detectors from Canada but I cannot use them in our Hong Kong apartment - they go off every time some idiot decides to light a bonfire in the stairwell and the halls (and apartments) are filled with pungent toxic smoke.

Sure the children and residents are being poisoned by the burning of plastics and gloss coated papers without proper ventilation, but on the bright side, some Buddhist or Taoist god is being appeased.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast