Like Tree3Likes

Where to a buy a smoke alarm/detector?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

well i can confirm that B&Q had both plain smoke

detectors and carbon monoxide detectors - we don't have gas so I went for a plain one for $218 - still more expensive than back home but better than the $700 the little store in Mongkok was asking!
    Thanks for the help - Megabox was awesome, will certainly be returning.....

Hong Kong people don't need such things... The homes are too small, by the time they can smell it or see it they are getting burnt... For people with big homes, they have maids.. so it's pratically useless here

Quote Originally Posted by Judy_inHK:
    Hong Kong people don't need such things... The homes are too small, by the time they can smell it or see it they are getting burnt... For people with big homes, they have maids.. so it's pratically useless here
    What utter, utter rubbish. The point of a smoke detector is that it wakes you up when you are asleep and the smoke (which you do NOT smell while asleep) sets of the alarm before the fire is too bad to allow escape. Of course they are needed here. Just look at the tragedy in Monkok a few months ago to see how bad a fire can be here if the residents have no warning and cannot get out!

Judy are you really that dense? And you don't smell carbon monoxide, thats why its so deadly, you just drift off to sleep and suffocate.

My god. Does your mommy know you're using the computer?

Bringing your old life style in a different part of the world

When i studied in Canada yes my house had all those alarms, Fire alarm, Secuirty alarm, motion dectors, Carbon Monoxide dectors etc..

But in Hong Kong we really don't need those, becareful with your adapters and plugs, try to use less of those adapters and plug one plug in one socket and get matience for all appliances and don't use appliances that are too old. Get regular check up for everything and shut of the main swich for applainces not needed when sleeping. If it was really that important in Hong Kong then buying these alarm dectors and carbon monoxide dectors will be easy and you will not need a thread asking for help.

Pratically none

Pratically there is very little cases of Carbon monoxide poisoning in Hong Kong expect for on purpose Carbon monoxide poisoning for sudicide.

Yes my mommy does know i am using the computer, she is looking at me from heavn

Quote Originally Posted by sylvesterjay:
    Judy are you really that dense? And you don't smell carbon monoxide, thats why its so deadly, you just drift off to sleep and suffocate.

My god. Does your mommy know you're using the computer?
    Last edited by Judy_inHK; 11-12-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling edit

as with everything in China/Hong Kong, so much of this stuff is made across the border, but none of it is for sale here or in China.

also, if you do find it, it is more expensive than if you bought it online or at Cosco in the US.

strange....

anyone else have any luck finding them?

SMOKE DETECORS.

As is usual, so much of the stuff made a few hundred kms north of here in china, but is hard to find in either HONG KONG or China retail........

when you do find it, it costs much more than Costco in the US....

so far, I have heard of the following possibilities:

1) Wing On Department Store
    2) Safety Fire Equipment Store (Wanchai)
    3) Fyrnetics HK (Kwai Chung)
    4) Bumps to Babes

Anyone able to confirm that these places might have one? Anyone know the prices?

I brought mine from Canada too. Mine goes off every time my wife cooks

but that's because it is very sensitive to heat not just smoke, as our toaster sets the thing off. And my wife isn't tall enough to reach it!

Smoke Detectors work on basically 2 technologies. Some DO sense heat as well...... Reverend Jay's detector may be detecting the smoke from the cooking or the heat... depends upon what kind of detector he bought.... (normally it is the smoke)...

I researched it:

"There are two main types of smoke detectors: ionization detectors and photoelectric detectors. A smoke alarm uses one or both methods, sometimes plus a heat detector, to warn of a fire. The devices may be powered by a 9-volt battery, lithium battery, or 120-volt house wiring.

Ionization Detectors

Ionization detectors have an ionization chamber and a source of ionizing radiation. The source of ionizing radiation is a minute quantity of americium-241 (perhaps 1/5000th of a gram), which is a source of alpha particles (helium nuclei). The ionization chamber consists of two plates separated by about a centimeter. The battery applies a voltage to the plates, charging one plate positive and the other plate negative. Alpha particles constantly released by the americium knock electrons off of the atoms in the air, ionizing the oxygen and nitrogen atoms in the chamber. The positively-charged oxygen and nitrogen atoms are attracted to the negative plate and the electrons are attracted to the positive plate, generating a small, continuous electric current. When smoke enters the ionization chamber, the smoke particles attach to the ions and neutralize them, so they do not reach the plate. The drop in current between the plates triggers the alarm.

Photoelectric Detectors

In one type of photoelectric device, smoke can block a light beam. In this case, the reduction in light reaching a photocell sets off the alarm. In the most common type of photoelectric unit, however, light is scattered by smoke particles onto a photocell, initiating an alarm. In this type of detector there is a T-shaped chamber with a light-emitting diode (LED) that shoots a beam of light across the horizontal bar of the T. A photocell, positioned at the bottom of the vertical base of the T, generates a current when it is exposed to light. Under smoke-free conditions, the light beam crosses the top of the T in an uninterrupted straight line, not striking the photocell positioned at a right angle below the beam. When smoke is present, the light is scattered by smoke particles, and some of the light is directed down the vertical part of the T to strike the photocell. When sufficient light hits the cell, the current triggers the alarm.

Which Method is Better?

Both ionization and photoelectric detectors are effective smoke sensors. Both types of smoke detectors must pass the same test to be certified as UL smoke detectors. Ionization detectors respond more quickly to flaming fires with smaller combustion particles; photoelectric detectors respond more quickly to smoldering fires. In either type of detector, steam or high humidity can lead to condensation on the circuit board and sensor, causing the alarm to sound. Ionization detectors are less expensive than photoelectric detectors, but some users purposely disable them because they are more likely to sound an alarm from normal cooking due to their sensitivity to minute smoke particles. However, ionization detectors have a degree of built-in security not inherent to photoelectric detectors. When the battery starts to fail in an ionization detector, the ion current falls and the alarm sounds, warning that it is time to change the battery before the detector becomes ineffective. Back-up batteries may be used for photoelectric detectors.