Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fitness First Platinum (Wanchai)

Fitness First Platinum (Wanchai)

Okay, yesterday I signed up for a year contract and I felt the whole package isn't too bad.

Yes, the gym is a bit smaller than I've expected, but at least it's brand new (just opened for two months) at a good location (Hopwell Center) and within good walking distance for me (just between 5-10 minutes walk for me)

Anyhow, all the machines are brand new and quite high-techish. But what I love most about this is they offer hot yoga (aka Birkham yoga) and that the lockerroom is clean with shower booths that has semi-transparent door attached to it (not that I mind, but I just like how much they've put in details)

I was there between 5 yo 6 p.m., and I assume it'll be packed, but it's not! There's literally no lineups for various machines as I've heard they only had less than 200 members so far.

What's good about this gym is that they said (well, I hope they'll keep their words) they'll only accept 500 members. Since the size is relatively small, I think that's a good policy.

What's more, it comes with complementary backpack, folded bags (for clothes), and a water bottle. None of them are cheap quality, I was pretty impressed.

Now here comes the membership fee. They have two different packages: Premier (6 months, $938) and Lifestyle (12 months $738) but only limited to Hopewell branch. You need to pay 100 bucks extra for signing up for Passport Blue (which offers you access outside of the country).

Anyways, I tried really hard to negotiate to skip the admin fee (300 bucks) and joining fee (800 bucks). They have this program called BodyFirst which offer you 3 sessions of personal training (an hour each) for $638. So under the condition of joining BodyFirst, they waived my joining fee (800 bucks). On top of that, they said if I just show up at the gym 8 times per month for the next three consecutive months, I'll get one month free!

Anyways, finally i got offered for 648 bucks per month. I think it's pretty much a great deal.

Yeah, I did check out Pure but I find people there are a bit snobbish and they're asking 1200 per month! Which is totally insane! No matter how spacious and modern Pure looks, I would say it's definitely not worth THAT much of money to burn.

So, would you say that this deal is considerably good? I wonder if I've gotten a good deal!

That's pretty good! I need a gym too.

Let's run some numbers just as an academic exercise. And let's be optimistic.

Say they reach the the 500 member limit and each member signs up for the more expensive Premier package:
    500 members x $938 (premier membership fee) = $469,000
    500 members x 1,100 (initiation & admin fees) =$550,000

That means they take in $1,019,000 in the first six months plus whatever personal training, water bottles, t-shirts, etc. they sell.

Lets say each and every one of the 500 members renews for another six months = $469,000. And add in the admin fees = $150,00 for a total of $619,000.

The health club is taking in $1,638,000 for the year on fees ($136,500/month) plus what ever services and merchandise they sell.

You think about the cost of the equipment and employees and rent, that does NOT look like a profitable business. The 500 member cap is either complete bullshit and/or they expect to sell a lot of training, classes and water bottles.

Anyone know/guess price of office space in Hopewell might be? Anyway, it's hard to imagine it being less than the $136,500 a month the club is making on all fees.

Quote Originally Posted by huja
    You think about the cost of the equipment and employees and rent, that does NOT look like a profitable business. The 500 member cap is either complete bullshit and/or they expect to sell a lot of training, classes and water bottles.
    Agreed. There's no way they can restrict membership to 500, they'll basically be out of business within a year unless they double the fees. Not sure how much rent at Hopewell is, but it's definitely not cheap given the location. It's early days yet, give it some time and it'll fill up like every other gym.

Not sure why everyone hates Pure so much. I got a pretty good deal at Pure Soho, paying just over HKD 600 a month with no signup fees at all.

Agree with huja, 500 member limited is a bullshit.
    As I know, their gym in Exchange square is smaller than Hopewell, they sign up 70-80 member per month.
    It is because their sales person have to achieve the target for the commission.

And it is not included ALL CLUBS MEMBER who join at other FF club.

I think you can check out Pure in Fairmont house or Seasons fitness in ICBC tower and see how many member there when peak hours.

BTW in HongKong fitness club, ALWAYS wavied the joining fee.

Pure could only give me a "special offer" which was 2.5 times what California offered (yes really). And the fitness "expert" tried to tell me I needed to lose a ridiculous amount of weight after giving me an complimentary "assessment". I had been weight-training intensively for several months elsewhere prior to enquiring at Pure, in good shape and the guy clearly had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue
    Pure could only give me a "special offer" which was 2.5 times what California offered (yes really). And the fitness "expert" tried to tell me I needed to lose a ridiculous amount of weight after giving me an complimentary "assessment". I had been weight-training intensively for several months elsewhere prior to enquiring at Pure, in good shape and the guy clearly had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.
    Taking your money is one thing. Giving potentially-harmful advice on your weight/fitness/health is a completely different matter

Yes, I didn't make that very clear. It was the wrong information rather than the cash that put me off as the facility itself is much nicer than the old California place. I was going with the intention of hiring a PT...

I go to Pure Fairmount in the evening. It is not as busy as I thought. However, the choice of cardio machine and weight machine is limited. Facilitywise, I still think Cali is better even though the machines are old and not well maintained. To be honest, Pure is charging way too much for what they offer.

Hey Sue, which club will you go starting next week ?

got offered $4995pa. (pay $415 by the month ) or thereabouts at California in Causeway bay.
    apparently 'last day' offer lol

i was there at 7pm and it was JAMPACKED!
    no thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast