Like Tree4Likes

Junk Parts/ Junk Yard

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Peak / Czech Republic/ 36,000 ft in the air

Talking Junk Parts/ Junk Yard

Hey all!
    Im new to this forum so bare with me. I've decided to build a car over the summer (Kit Cars) and I was wondering is there any place in HK that has Old Car parts for sale (cheap)? Like a Junk Yard or something where I can find what i need.

Thanks

There are loads of car breakers out in Yuen Long.

Hopefully some of the locals there can give you more details as its been over a year since I was last there.

Thanks very much mate

What are you going to build?

Ummm...it depends on what Kit i can aquire, perhaps the Ford Cobra or a Merc 500 (1930's)

have you considered some type of Lotus 7 clone? Might fit better with the types of donor cars you find here.
    For a Cobra you would probably be better off to buy the drivetrain from the USA. Freight should be pretty cheap as nothing much comes back from the US to here.
    If it uses Mustang 2 suspension, you can buy it new from some of the suppliers in the Street Rod magazines. Or take a little trip to Los Angeles or Phoenix and get everything you need.
    I can probably find you some stuff when I am back in the US if you want. Don't know what time frame you are working on though.
    Lotus 7 would be easy to build (or a Locost) as a lot of folks are using Toyota drivetrains etc and 4 cylinder engines are probably easier to come by in HK than V8s.

Titus likes this.

Yeah I guess your right, I might just build the Lotus 7 or something that incorprates jap parts, cuz I very much doubt i can find a chevy small block in the junk yards here lol
    Plus, im kinda novice at this....so this is prob gonna be my first car that I build alone so i guess i wanna build a simple one.

Search for Locost on the web, lots of people building them from scratch using all sorts of parts. So yes, Lotus 7 is practical.

Nothing like the sound of a V8 though.
    A good alternative to sourcing a used V8 is a "crate motor". These are sold by the performance parts divisions of GM, Ford & Chrysler. Typical cost for the factory engines is around $3000. US for a complete (well almost complete) NEW engine in some different performance configurations. These are typically 350 HP fairly mild street performance engines. The do make bigger stuff up to 700HP 628 CU Inch Hemis but the cost goes up.
    Other aftermarket suppliers are also around such as PAW, Ray Barton Engines, who sell their own crate motors PAW is about the cheapest Ray Barton will make the fastest.
    I don't know if they will ship to HK but you can probably arrange it if you want and then get it sent over.

Just remember: When it comes to horsepower, too much is just enough

Quote Originally Posted by Busdrivr:
    Search for Locost on the web, lots of people building them from scratch using all sorts of parts. So yes, Lotus 7 is practical.

Nothing like the sound of a V8 though.
    A good alternative to sourcing a used V8 is a "crate motor". These are sold by the performance parts divisions of GM, Ford & Chrysler. Typical cost for the factory engines is around $3000. US for a complete (well almost complete) NEW engine in some different performance configurations. These are typically 350 HP fairly mild street performance engines. The do make bigger stuff up to 700HP 628 CU Inch Hemis but the cost goes up.
    Other aftermarket suppliers are also around such as PAW, Ray Barton Engines, who sell their own crate motors PAW is about the cheapest Ray Barton will make the fastest.
    I don't know if they will ship to HK but you can probably arrange it if you want and then get it sent over.

Just remember: When it comes to horsepower, too much is just enough

Hahah You got that right, v8's produce the best roar , depending on how much i can spend on this car i might order the "crate motor", if luck is on my side i might even get a 426 Hemi but as of now ill use just about any good condition v6 i can find. I mean having tonnes of horsepower is great but not for a place like HK, partly because there is no where you can truly unleashe the V8's raw power here, if it was like the UK or something then then I wouldnt mind putting in a V8.

What did you build?

Interested to find out what you ended up with!

Hank

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast