Like Tree8Likes

Vehicle collision

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vehicle collision

Just wanted to see if my first accident experience yesterday was typical of how things go here.

Yesterday a driver in a van failed to stop at the terminating road in a t junction (through stop sign) as I turned right across a lane of traffic to enter the road he was on. He clipped the rear wheel arch of my car at which point we both stopped.

As I speak no Cantonese and he spoke no English there was no ability to communicate. I took a few photos even though the van driver had reversed his van back across the stop line.

Minor damage to my rear wheel arch along with black scuff marks, and a crack in his bumper.

Fortunately a passing police officer stopped and we pulled the cars to the side of the road. He translated at which point it became clear that the van driver was blaming me for the accident (which explained the yelling and pointing).

I found this somewhat bewildering given my understanding of right of way, the fact that he didn't stop at all, let alone at the line etc.

The police officer then went on to 'encourage' me to settle the matter by saying that if I made a report there was no way of knowing what would happen (mentioned I might be charged for careless driving or that a civil action may commence) and that in any event I'd lose my NCB if I claimed on insurance.

I replied that I was clearly in the right and had no intention of settling in any way that admitted fault, and would prefer to go through the formal process unless the van driver agreed to pay for the damage to my vehicle.

A police van then arrived and two other officers came over. They spoke to me about settling the matter as well and although they didn't threaten to charge me with careless driving, made it clear that it would be very inconvenient for me to proceed with a police report.

I explained my position and after some back and forth with the van driver, he offered to settle the matter for a token amount.

Having no idea what the cost to straighten the wheel arch and polish out the scuffing would be I asked the police if there were other options. According to them there weren't and I needed to decide then and there.

I had heard some horror stories about people being charged with careless driving so out of caution took the token amount, and the van driver left. The police took both our details but said that would be the end of it.

I just wanted to know if this is a common experience in HK and if I should be aware of anything/act differently in future.

Also any tips on very minor (paintless)panel beating appreciated!

Pretty typical for a van driver, yes. I had one crash into the back or our car when I was stopped at a red light, and then proceeded to blame me!

This was declared a no-fault accident because the van driver agreed to pay all our damages on the spot. In fact he repeated the offer about 10 times as we were stood on the side of the road, through the police officers. I assumed the no fault was so that he did not get charged with careless driving - on top of the no insurance charge that is.

Note for future accidents: Get yourself an in-car camera that records as your drive.

I did and it proved its worth when a woman stepped out in front of my car, lovely clear images of her not even glancing my way. Fortunately I was only going 25kms at the time and just clipped her with no damage apart from a scrap. But scariest thing to have a woman suddenly roll onto your bonnet. The police couldn't have been nicer at that incident.

Thanks kimwy, will have to look into the camera, sounds like a good idea!

Dash cameras are inexpensive these days, you can pick up a small one including a SD card for under HKD$300 in Apliu Street, Sham Shui Po.

Incidents like this are quickly settled once you point to your cameras facing the driver at blame, so best to have one facing forward and one facing backward.

kimwy66 likes this.

It's not my experience. When a guy bumped into me police came and was taking all the details for their record. They never pushed me for one thing or another. A few weeks later I was invited to explain the details. And now, 5 month later, I got a letter that the other driver was charged for careless driving ($1500). He refused to pay for my damage though. Never got anything.

If I ask a lawyer to send him a demand letter then he will probably pay, leaving me then with a $20,000 lawyer bill, minus the $5000 damage to my car.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:

If I ask a lawyer to send him a demand letter then he will probably pay, leaving me then with a $20,000 lawyer bill, minus the $5000 damage to my car.
    Just use the small claims tribunal. No need for lawyers, just a bit of time to fill in the form and to appear at the tribunal.

http://www.judiciary.gov.hk/en/crt_s...lt/html/sc.htm
    flameproof likes this.

How do these dash cams work? Do you have to keep deleting videos or does it do it automatically?

our 2 cameras keep a few days worth of videos on the SD camera and automatically delete the oldest ones and replace them with the latest video.

Any great differences between brands, or will the cheapest do the same job?

My cam was $280 including the 8GB SD card.

bak875 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast