Like Tree166Likes

Does being overly frugal make sense ?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    $2000 for a day in ocean park? A yr pass is about $700 for an adult.
    but if it's a family of 4, then yes, $2000 sounds about right. it is what we just spent on a day at disney with the kids. (included light lunch and dinner).

Original Post Deleted
    wah! something DeletedUser wrote that i 100% agree with! i must mark today in my calendar....
    Mat and MovingIn07 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:

dictating what others spend? well, i have been invited to a going away dinner (at the above restaurant)... not knowing what the prices were, i accepted. when i got there, i found that it was going to cost us more than our weekly budget for groceries! that wasn't me being frugal. it was my budget. why? because that was all the money i had! i have a problem with people who have wads of $ assuming everyone has the same.

(anyone remember the episode of FRIENDS that dealt with the exact same issue?)
    A friend invited you to dinner at an expensive restaurant and then expected you to pay for yourself?

That's one "friend" I prefer not to have!
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    But with good healthcare we have potentially LONG lives ahead of us with no income - my mother-in-law is a case in point, how living in a house 50% owned by us because she could no longer afford what she wanted with her own money. As I have no kids, nobody is looking after me in my old age, so I want to be able to be prepared and still have a relaxed life without having to worry about money!
    I second that. I also come from the background where we were taught 'save for the rainy day'. I am single, no kids and no plan to marry. What will I do when I retire, or God forbids, what if one day I am not in the condition of working, thats when these savings come in handy.

If nothing like this happens, and I die with savings on my bank account, I would be more than happy that my family can have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    On purpose, I have chosen Everything Else Finance / Business for this discussion and not the Philosophy Corner. I hope my thread remains here.

Situation is, some of us are invested ( be it stocks, commodities, or real estate )
    and the value of the assets fluctuates every day by several thousands of U.S. dollars. While it is already a challenging exercise to remain emotionally stable ( that is not overly excited, not overly sad, as both of which might lead to wrong investment decisions )
    at the same time it seems useless to me to contemplate about small amounts such as
    eating lunch for HK$ 40 or HK$ 110.

So I just wonder how do other Geoexpater's see it ? ???
    Most people have little control over market/investment fluctuations. Investments should be viewed as relatively long term. What you buy for lunch is totally up to you and would largely depend on what you value. For me they are two different things with different purposes.
    TheBrit and fuzzysocks like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    $2000 for a day in ocean park? A yr pass is about $700 for an adult.

If you teleport there, don't eat or drink, don't buy souveniers or use any of the pay stuff....then yes, you're right!

3 adults and 2 kids JJ, come on..

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    (anyone remember the episode of FRIENDS that dealt with the exact same issue?)
    I thought this was an episode of friends..

What I mean Bryant is if you think ocean park is a nice day out you can do it more than once a year and then it's pretty cheap because the price of a year pass is about the same as two day tickets. Kids love repetition so would be happy to go again and again.

Parents, not so much!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    A friend invited you to dinner at an expensive restaurant and then expected you to pay for yourself?

That's one "friend" I prefer not to have!

it was a going away dinner... with about 20 people. no way i would have expected them to pay for everyone.

the thing is, i prefer to go "dutch", that wasn't the problem... it was that it was assumed that dropping $1000+ on dinner is perfectly do-able for everyone.

it's dooh-able.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast