Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree302Likes

Roaming gangs of Mainlanders stealing children from Hong Kong shopping malls

sorry mat, i was referring to shenwen....

personally, with this topic, i would like to reserve judgement EITHER WAY until more information is made known/public.

jumping to conclusions be they "they are just over protective, hysterical mothers" or "all mainlanders are horrible people out to steal our babies, increase property prices and steal all of our healthcare places" helps no one.

you people crying foul are just as guilty as the ones on the other side of the argument.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang
    jumping to conclusions be they "they are just over protective, hysterical mothers" or "all mainlanders are horrible people out to steal our babies, increase property prices and steal all of our healthcare places" helps no one.
    When a bunch of hysterical over protective mothers make claims based on no evidence, proceed to continue the hysteria even after police come out and say "there was no evidence", it is rightful to conclude that they are just hysterical. Saying that they are hysterical after these things have been investigated and pointed out does not imply conclusions were jumped into.

What more do you need to hear&see before you are convinced that these mothers irrational and plain old loony?
    100LL likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb
    I can totally see where Football is coming from, people are so pedophoibic in places like Aus or the UK that men are becoming pretty scared to go near children that aren't their own for fear of accusation. Once you are accused it will be all over the news straight away and basically your life is screwed no matter whether you are innocent or not.
    There is this yes.

I also think that you want teens not to get too close to adults where they can be molested.

It is just a good policy for not putting your teens alone with adults. We had a religious guy in his 20s trying to buddy up to our 14 year old about then so we said okay we'll take you to church. He had no idea what the church was or why this guy was so interested in him. We said no. Go to your own church.

As to Mat going on he doesn't understand what I was getting at with the 16 old son and the 32 year old school teacher aunt who was at the time married to my wife's brother - WTF -how hard is that to understand? You must have lived quite a sheltered life if I have to spell it out for you.

I have known two teachers who dated and married their students in Canada before it became a crime like it is treated now.

Just googled false accusations of molesting and here is a good one:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...h3G_story.html
    Last edited by Football16; 13-03-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kittyctc
    Thank you for twisting my words and the personal attack. What I meant was if there have been more abduction cases in HK in past ten years, I wouldn't find it hard to believe.
    Somewhere in this thread are the stats from the police, there were very few kidnapping and child abduction cases (3 in 2007, 2 in 2008) and there seems to be no increase over the past few years.

Today news and rumors can spread like a wildfire, so the only "if" there is if those stories are actually true. So far none of the recent ones were.

China: Thousands of abducted women, children released in past year

Yes, it only happens on the Mainland. Nobody would ever bother to try to smuggle HK kids across the border.

Also, the police in HK have never withheld information from the public nor downplayed the seriousness of a problem:

One victim told the Sunday Morning Post (SEHK: 0583, announcements, news) Chan attacked her in a lane off High Street, Sheung Wan, as she walked home early on January 1 after celebrating the New Year with friends.

She had asked police to warn other women by publicising the attack.

"I remember going to the police in January and asking them to warn women in the area," said the woman, an expatriate who is now thinking of leaving Hong Kong because of the trauma of her ordeal.

"They told me they didn't want to create a panic or tip off the attacker, fearing that he might flee Hong Kong.
    Women 'used as bait' in sex probe
    ID2 likes this.

According to this story, it's now expats that are hysterical:

Kidnapping fears in Hong Kong | News24

Anthropologist Joseph Bosco of Hong Kong's Chinese University said the urban myth may have spread so fast because it touched on real fears of expatriate parents in Hong Kong.

And here is a good demonstration who these things spread:

http://lisatong.com/index.php/2009/0...-in-hong-kong/

Person writes a story on her blog about kids being kidnapped in HK and being smuggled to China. She said it's happening more and more these days. That was 2009. Some readers comment that the stories she is telling are exactly the same urban myth's going around in other countries for a long time. Author says she heard it from her sister who heard it from a friend. Story gets picked up by Apple Daily and Ikea is pissed (she had Ikea in the story somehow). Ikea makes statement. Person writes second post that she wasn't saying anything but be careful in HK. The story continues...

Here is the Apple Daily article:
    http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/templa...rt_id=12506213
    Last edited by 100LL; 14-03-2012 at 12:52 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL

Anthropologist Joseph Bosco of Hong Kong's Chinese University said the urban myth may have spread so fast because it touched on real fears of expatriate parents in Hong Kong.
    ... and all of the people lining up to buy bags of salt after the Japanese Tsunami were bankers' trailing spouses.
    MovingIn07 and virago like this.

lisatong.com

Person writes a story on her blog about kids being kidnapped in HK and being smuggled to China. She said it's happening more and more these days. That was 2009. Some readers comment that the stories she is telling are exactly the same urban myth's going around in other countries for a long time. Author says she heard it from her sister who heard it from a friend. Story gets picked up by Apple Daily and Ikea is pissed (she had Ikea in the story somehow). Ikea makes statement. Person writes second post that she wasn't saying anything but be careful in HK. The story continues...

'

Identical story (shaved head etc) went round Singapore but the store named was Carrefour.
    From Snopes snopes.com: Kidnapped Child Rumor

lisatong.com

'

Identical story (shaved head etc) went round Singapore in 2010 but the store named was Carrefour.
    From Snopes snopes.com: Kidnapped Child Rumor

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by carang
    did you not read "i don't necessarily believe it"???
    no, but I did read "i don't necessarily believe it, but..."

anyway, it was not personally directed at you. More at the general silly paranoia on this thread.

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202126 ... LastLast