safe deposit boxes for rent?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

safe deposit boxes for rent?

Hi

I've just called HSBC to open a safe deposit box using my HK company with them when in HK next week and they ask for a bunch of documents that may not be ready on time. As I'm not keen on opening a private account for the sole purpose to open the box under my personal name, are there some facilities in HK that manage safety boxes without requiring the opening of a bank account, and preferably with longer opening hours than the banks ? We have a bunch of those in Bangkok, some of them managed by reliable companies, what are the options in HK ?

Thanks
    Luis

>> what are the options in HK

Not that many, specially for valuable documents. You could consider one of the many storage companies which will lend you some storage space.. you can put a safe in there and store your docs....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The Storage in Sheung Wan has offers safe deposit boxes, although the opening hours aren't too much longer than banks - Mon – Fri: 09:30 – 18:30 / Sat: 09:30 – 13:30.
    The Storage Limited

Thanks Claire, actually found out that place on the net as well. Do valuables ever disappear from this or similar facilities in HK ?

Sorry to reopen this thread from gasp 6 years ago, but I thought better than start a new one. Very least it shows I tried to search the forum archives for an answer. hehe.

Btw hi, my name is Mike. New here, looking forward to learning from you all.

Recently the big banks I've been to all say the same thing. Sorry, no boxes available, we could put you on a waiting list, but it's a long wait, like years possibly. HSBC, HS, and SC.

So I've been thinking whether to approach the lesser known banks, ie Fubon and NB. Anyone know if it's worth a try, or still would probably get the same answer? (given HK's lack of space)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

which area?

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    which area?
    Thanks for asking. Ideally HK Island, central or SW, but I'm not going to hold my breath as that's banking district. Honestly? I'd go anywhere even new territories. Just a box to put a passport, id, bank cards, birth certs, a watch or two, that type of stuff. A box you'd only go to maybe 2-3 times per year so yeah anywhere would be ok.

Bank of China on Queens Road C. next to HSBC might have some small boxes

Original Post Deleted
    Hmm interesting...yeah I'm cool with CCB, from what I recall they're one of the big 4 China banks...thanks.

Non-bank safe deposit boxes? Well it's not that I have anything really valuable, but if I could choose I'd prefer tier-1 bank boxes. If unable to, yeah then I might consider non-banks. But yes, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    Bank of China on Queens Road C. next to HSBC might have some small boxes
    Oh if that were possible, I'd so go for that...a safety deposit box in that prime location. (hmm methinks I would feel a little self conscious in my bermuda shorts walking into that branch, but heck, I don't care. A box there would be so convenient.) Thank you Oldtimer.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast