Like Tree113Likes

Week 5 of Occupy Central: Updates & Discussions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Week 5 of Occupy Central: Updates & Discussions

The lady.s got balls.

http://www.wsj.com/video/hong-kongs-...520D578D4.html

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

The press are vital for the government as keeping them onside allows the government's voice to be heard clearly. This is probably why so many heavyweight pro-establishment politicians have condemned the attack by the blue ribbon brigade on a few reporters and there has been an arrest.

It is a pity that they couldn't condemn the same groups of people for attacking students or even condemn their colleagues for egging on vigilantism which is far more destructive to the rule of law than sitting in a road.

RTHK English News
    RTHK English News

Let's see how it's really gonna be, but TVB and RTHK have declared they won't report on blue ribbon acitivities anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Let's see how it's really gonna be, but TVB and RTHK have declared they won't report on blue ribbon acitivities anymore.
    Do we know why?

Because the Anti-OC attacked and beat up reporters from RTHK and TVB yesterday in MK. They tried to steal their cameras and press IDs.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Because the Anti-OC attacked and beat up reporters from RTHK and TVB yesterday in MK. They tried to steal their cameras and press IDs.
    Saw the videos, looks nasty indeed.

Should not be enough a reason to kick these reporters but apparently one of them was spotted wearing a yellow ribbon....kind of like asking for it (sadly)…no to.mention thaylt u would expect them to be slighly more neutral (at least in public eye)…that said it does not excuse at all what those anti OC protesters did...yellow ribbon or not...u dont kick them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Should not be enough a reason to kick these reporters but apparently one of them was spotted wearing a yellow ribbon....
    Just curious but what's the source of that claim?

And why were they all attacked?

Remarkable how even after such a blatant attack on journalists (some arguably on the same side as the anti-OC movement, like TVB) by the pro-Beijing mob, many of the pro-establishment printed media still keeps a strange silence on it on their editorial pages. This silence is becoming deafening.

Last edited by Cho-man; 27-10-2014 at 11:45 AM.

David Smith

There is a video from cable TV here Blue Ribbon Physically Assaulted Reporters in Pro-Police Rally | Dictionary of Politically Incorrect Hong Kong Cantonese

I think the RTHK journalist was mistaken for a spy from Occupy Central. The crowd were angry at TVB for not broadcasting the rally live. (Or possibly consider TVB the enemy because of the report of Ken Tsang's beating.)

Interesting statement from the blue ribbon organiser (on EJ): "She said there was a designated press area at the weekend event but some members of the press had strayed from the zone." One wonders what kind of people go to these rallies, I mean the rank and file.

The DAB has said it was an isolated incident, but I note that it is two separate instances and far more than one person was involved. 24 hours later a single person has been arrested. I can't help but think, had it been a pro-democracy rally, that many would have been arrested on the spot and permission for future rallies curtailed or denied.

Last edited by David Smith; 27-10-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast