Snakes!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Snakes!

Hi. Does anyone know anything about the wild snakes on HK island? I looked at the HK agriculture web site and it had a list of species, but thats about it. I'm more interested in knowing which ones are dangerous and how prevalent they are. I've run across several now (a small green one and two larger grey/black ones) in the country parks and I'm terrified. Would like to know if my fears are irrational. Thanks.

[KIA, maybe this thread belongs in the "Everything Else category?]

I would have though most of the snakes in Hong Kong would have been long eaten by now, but I keep hearing of more and more sightings. In one of my Hong Kong hiking books, it lists the most common venomous snakes found in the area:

Banded Krait (Bungarus fasciatus)

Many-Banded Krait (Bungarus multicinctus)

Chinese cobra (Naja atra)

King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah)

Bamboo Pit Viper (Trimeresurus albolabris)

We see (dead) snakes on the road leading to the stables just about every weekend, so they are out there. One looked suspiciously like that bamboo pit viper with that green coloring.
    Also have a friend who claims to have seen two baby cobras in Sai Kung; until climber07 posted his pictures, I thought the guy was pulling my leg.

In Sai Kung we have Kraits, cobras, bamboo snakes and pythons, all of which have been know to bite dogs at some point in the time that I have been up here.

Usually dogs that have gone at the snake first (a lot of dogs ain't the smartest and don't know when to let it lie...).

There are also a few dogs I know that are prolific snake killers - know 1 lady who regularly has to remove the two halves of a cobra that one of her dogs keeps catching and killing (not the same cobra each time..).

In general, the snakes will leave well alone unless cornered or left no option. The most aggressive are the bright green ones allegedly (the bamboo) which fortunately are only mildly poisonous (it's all comparative - should still get to DR for self or vet for pet if bitten).

Thank you all. I'm pretty sure I saw the green one last week in Deep Water Bay. I don't know that I feel any safer, but at least I have an idea of what to look out for - and keep myself and the pups away from. We certainly won't be trying to corner them.

Make sure you make plenty of noise and look where you move before you move. Most snakes are nocturnal, with the exception of the cobras, which are diurnal too (they hunt during the day). IMO your biggest worry is definitely the cobras. They're beautiful though eh? Pit vipers are known for being able to spit venom (which can blind you), so stay back. They prefer to stay away rather than going at you, with the exception of the cobras. They'll stand their ground. I'd probably shit myself if I saw a king cobra out in the wild.

Cobras can be found anywhere at this time of year, but watch out when you're near water. They love to go swimming.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 20-07-2007 at 08:08 PM.

If you go to the Government Bookstore at http://bookstore.esdlife.com , enter the application and then do a search on "reptiles" you will find the "HK Amphibians & Reptiles" book which contains details of all the snakes and similar things found in HK, including photos and how common & how venomous they are. You can order the book there for $70.10+postage of $8.20 and it will be with you in a couple of days.

Thanks for the book recommendation - will be ordering it. Really appreciate everyones responses about snakes.

jayinhongkong, you said that "cobras can be found anywhere at this time of year" - does this mean that snakes are more common during the summers in HK? I never saw one until a few weeks ago, and now I've seen several, but it could be a coincidence since I doubt they migrate or anything in the winter...but I don't know.

Last edited by hello_there; 20-07-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Snakes hibernate in the winter. They are reptiles, after all. The primary mating seasons for HK's indigenous snakes are spring and fall/autumn. This is the time of year when they're out and about getting their fill. Small mammals, reptiles, and in the case of the King Cobra, even other snakes, including it's own young in certain circumstances.

Interestingly, in both traditional Indian and Chinese culture, the King Cobra is revered and respected. They say if you try to kill one and don't finish the job, it will come for you and get you when you least expect it. There have been numerous tales of such occurences over the millenia

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast